Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Conductor Tests

Date: 12/03/01 17:39
BNSF Conductor Tests
Author: bn9400

I was just wondering if anybody else on here has ever tried to take these tests and has ever passed it. I have tried a few times and have never had any luck. Do you have to be a certain age ( i am 19 now could that have something to do with this)or just hope that the rr would like you enough to get a job. I am just getting tired of taking this and getting the same letter all the time. Do they not like it if you have family that works for them now? So if anybody has any stores or any info that could help I would really like your advise. Thanks

Date: 12/03/01 17:44
RE: BNSF Conductor Tests
Author: unclepete

Are you talking about the psychological type entrance exams, or the Conductors' test at the end of training?

Date: 12/03/01 18:33

the entrance exams you take when you try to get a job

Date: 12/03/01 22:53
Author: annahb

Don't tell them if you like trains....they seem to sway away from
that as if you only want the job so you can be real close to trains.
They may think there is a conflict of interest, as if you won't be
alert, etc...

Date: 12/03/01 23:32
Author: diddle_e._squat

If its like the NS testing/interview sessions, its just a crapshot, depends on how you strike the interviewer(provided the tests don't knock you out first). Just prepare as you would for any job interview, try to anticipate possible questions, think through and practice your answers, show professionalism, a good attitude, listen well, think on your feet, show how you'd make a good employee, what you can you do for them. But remember, your not interviewing for a post-Ivy League Wall Street job either. Be honest, but don't volunteer that your hobby is trains. Do mention any experience you have involving the operations of machinery, that show you were trusted with responsibility, and can work well alone without constant supervision. Let them know that you are aware of and have weighed the pros and cons of the railroad lifestyle, its extremes, that it is not a problem for you and that your family is ready to accept this. Evidence of shift work or other jobs requiring long and/or odd hours is a plus. And if they ask you do you like to drive fast cars on two wheels around parking lots on Friday nites after a few beers, say no.

Anyway good luck.

P.S., don't forget:

a, d, b, a, a, d, c, "none of the above", a, b, a, a, c, b, "I would pull the emergency brake handle".

Date: 12/03/01 23:34
Forgot to mention...
Author: diddle_e._squat

...usually they do like it if you have family working for the railroad, thinking that you are more aware of the difficulties of a railroad life. At least the NS did.

Date: 12/04/01 00:35
Author: riorat

bn9400 wrote:

> Do you have to be a certain
> age ( i am 19 now could that have something to do with this)....

I would say your age is a significant factor. I have not seen many people under the age of 25 get hired by class 1's in recent years.
While there are exceptions, the railroads seem to hire people who have several solid years of post high school work or military experience. Unfortunately, most 19-21 year olds don't have enough full time work history to satisify the requirement.
Good luck and don't give up. I have a friend that applied to a company every 2 weeks for 6 years before they hired him. Last month he got his 20 year employee pin from them.

Date: 12/04/01 03:17
Author: Conductor_Bear

riorat wrote:
>
> bn9400 wrote:
>
> > Do you have to be a certain
> > age ( i am 19 now could that have something to do with
> this)....
>
If BN is anything like UP, they probbably also require 2 years of full time work experience, so unless you started working full time when you were 16, you have another year to go.

Also, you do not need to hide the fact you like trains from the, but rather, show a genuine interest in the job, and all of the responsibilities that come with it. Demonstrate an awareness for the safety issues involved, and a willingness to abide by all currrent and future safety rules, no matter how insanely stupid (such as UP's new Green Vest policy on the Chicago Service unit).

IF possible , I would reccomend obtaiing a copy of th GCOR and studyingthat, and demonstarte that fact tothe interviewer. This may help in two ways 1) It may help you get hired, (demonstrated a genuine interest in the job to be done, rather than just watching trains) 2) If you are hired you will have a head start on most of your class mates.

This is part of what I did, and it did work for me as well as a few others who I have reccommended it to.

Good Luck

L. C. Wilson
UPRR Proviso, IL

Date: 12/04/01 09:43
Author: HighballHenry

Do you know how to read? As I recall that was about all the test was.

Date: 12/04/01 10:13

Reading by what has been put down my age does not help at all, when my dad is a supivisor for bnsf that is not good, and when you have been laid off twice in a year hard to get work experience. Just wondering what does the UP have you do for tests is it the same as BNSF or different? Thanks for the info everbody

Date: 12/04/01 14:40
Author: SLR62

Why don't you try to get a job on a smaller railroad. The position would be easier to get, easier hours, etc. You probably wouldn't even have to full time it to start getting your feet wet, start by being a van driver, etc. My friend is 21 like me, he has been a conductor on the Guilford Rail System on the East Coast here for a year almost. I rode with him many times.. basically the job requires a good head on your shoulders, and not much else. Don't cut corners, follow the rules fairly closely and it can be done. It is easier once you are 21 though to get such a job.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds