Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Azusa Branch update (and how to move freight cars w/

Date: 09/21/05 19:58
UP Azusa Branch update (and how to move freight cars w/
Author: PasadenaSub

This morning, I happened across some activity at the very end of Union Pacific's former SP branch in Azusa, CA. With the recent tie replacement work seeming to be complete, I noticed two 89' flatcars, each with 4 open-top containers coupled together. Getting out of the car to take some pictures, I witnessed the cars starting to get pushed east by a loader, with a UP MofW worker riding the other end to man the brakes.

Both cars were shoved about 200' to a joint with a gondola, CNW 340069. After taking pictures, I observed them starting to load up the old ties into the open top containers on the 89' flatcars. The flatcars carried RTIX reporting marks (#'s 130 and 904), but still had Trailer Train 'Twin 45' livery from their service as intermodal cars. I've seen baretables stored on the Azusa branch before, but never north of Foothill Blvd. in Irwindale/Azusa. There must have been a great deal of squeeling when these rounded the sharp right-hand curve along the San Gabriel River onto the 1906-vintage former Pacific Electric rails just east of the old Puente Largo bridge.

I've still yet to witness a locomotive at the end of the Azusa branch, but at least I got to see some cars move today. Not sure if these cars will be picked up by the UP Baldwin Park local, or retrieved with a special move.

Rich

Date: 09/21/05 20:00
Re: UP Azusa Branch update (and how to move freight car

~~

Date: 09/21/05 20:01

A close-up of the RTIX cars.

Date: 09/21/05 20:40
Author: MojaveSubMP347

Nice Pics Rich... Those cars have been there for a while. They were there last week when I was there to. This Branch is on the top of my List Of things to do. I just need To get out there one night and Follow the Local And hope it Goes that far to Run around its Train. Now that my Friend Lives Only a few Blocks from there, it gives me a good reason to get out and do it.

Matt

Date: 09/21/05 23:24
Author: cajon

Last week going down Tehachapi a UP North train had 4 of the above cars load with used ties on the rear.
Dennis

Date: 09/22/05 10:02
Author: 72368

used and worn out ties are now considered hazardous material. The containers are used to transport the tie butts and pieces to an approved hazardous waste dump site, such as the one a Clive, Utah, near Salt Lake City.

TIOGA PASS

Date: 09/22/05 10:20
Author: Sal

72368 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> used and worn out ties are now considered
> hazardous material.

Uh oh. I purchased a bunch at Home Depot about 10 years ago to make planter retaining walls in my back yard.

No wonder my petunias never grew!

Sal Garcia
Pico Rivera, Ca.

Date: 09/22/05 12:29
Author: PeterGriffin

Tonight I will be out looking for that local.. I hear it runs past the 210 tonight. I cant wait to see it. That branch is awsome..... Its to bad it only gets run at night... I does anyone know if it sets out cars at Miller anymore or is it a all BNSF plant now????

Date: 09/22/05 14:59
Author: jst3751

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ~~

Ah, that 2 pic made me feel at home. In the distance you can see the cars for BallsCouph as we called it.

Date: 09/22/05 23:36
Author: DesertDon

I saw cars similiar to these in Tehachapi last April. My take on them is that the containers are designed to be moved by forklift. (Notice the two pockets in the bottom of each of the containers) Loading ties (or other materials) would substantually reduce the handling time caused by reloading materials from flats or gons to truck to an appropiate location.

Date: 09/24/05 22:48
Author: gearhead

Actually old tires have found a new use here in California in the form of rubberized asphalt for paving. I don't know the details of the process, but you can sure tell when you are driving on it; very smooth, very quiet. Several test areas here in the SF Bay area.

Date: 09/26/05 06:39
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Yes the Baldwin ark Local does setout and pick up at Millers.. The only switching the UP does is pull the interchange track and puts inbound cars into the other interchange track for the BNSF>> It is a long story how the Santa Fe got the switching rights.. I will do it in another posting...

Date: 09/26/05 06:48
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Yes the Baldwin ark Local does setout and pick up at Millers.. The only switching the UP does is pull the interchange track and puts inbound cars into the other interchange track for the BNSF>> It is a long story how the Santa Fe got the switching rights.. I will do it in another posting...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds