Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF 777 - warbonnet with yellow frame stripe

Date: 10/18/05 19:53
BNSF 777 - warbonnet with yellow frame stripe
Author: TexBob

Out and about today and got a rolling roster of BNSF 777. It was nice to see
a warbonnet in decent paint, albeit BNSF. Upon viewing the shots at home this
evening I realized that this unit has received its FRA approved reflective
frame stripe.

Apparently the frame striping can be non-continuous...

Date: 10/18/05 20:45
Re: BNSF 777 - warbonnet with yellow frame stripe
Author: Espee4Ever

Does the yellow frame stripe prevent future derailments or collisions with cars at crossings, trains in sidings or on the mainline? This is a question I guess for the FRA considering they are the wizards of safety. Was wondering about that considering the look of the frame stripe does nothing for the locomotives in my book. Can you imagine an SP SD70ACE with a yellow frame stripe. It does no justice on the Warbonnet either. It seems to me that the collective gene pool of society needs a little cleaning, or maybe we should just add yellow frame stripes to people instead.

--espee4ever

Date: 10/18/05 20:55
Author: espeeboy

sheesh, I was hoping to see BNSF jumping into the Airliner market!

;)

Date: 10/18/05 21:06
Author: GoldenState

I don't remember where I read it but I think the FRA striping can be either yellow or white. Look at the post of 4141 and WP1983, White striping. Not sure about dashed or continuous though.

Date: 10/18/05 21:54
Author: jdrtrainwatcher

The new FRA law requires the frame stripe to be a continuos white or yellow band. NS unit had he "dashed" frame stripes, but they are all now receiving solid white stripes. That is why UP units have yellow stripes now, the FRA does not think that their red stripes show up good enough. So, BNSF did put those yellow dashes on there, but it was probably a while back. Eventually, by the year 2011, that will be a solid yellow or white stripe.

Date: 10/18/05 22:08
Author: NSDash9

The new FRA requirements for reflective striping do not require a continuous stripe. The amount of striping required is dependent on the length of the locomotive or freight car, as well as what color striping is used (more striping is required for white versus yellow).

Chris Toth

Date: 10/19/05 04:08
Author: chris_wlkr

There are several BN green SD40-2's running around the system with dash yellow stripes also. Been seeing them for a couple months.

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds