Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > MRL SD70ace status

Date: 10/22/05 15:37
MRL SD70ace status
Author: NateF40Amtrak

Does anyone have a update about the new MRL SD70ace locomotives? How are the holding out? Any problems? How do the crews like them? Anyone have some photos of these monsters in service?

Thanks
NateF40Amtrak

http://www.clevelandtrains.net

Date: 10/22/05 16:40
Re: MRL SD70ace status
Author: Mautner

I would geuss that about half of the order of 16 units are now in service. When I was in Montana in early October only four were in service,all being used as a helper set of Helena. They were mainly helping grain and coal trains, with the older power being used to help other trains.As you can tell in the images I will show these units get absolutely filthy after one trip over Mulan Pass.I am geussing that they wash these units every night as they were clean in the morning. I will show three images of the four 4300s helping a grain load over Mulan Pass and running light unit back to Helena.
Hope I helped Some
Mike

Date: 10/22/05 16:41

Running Light back to Helena, the cleanest unit was the first in the consist as they shoved over the pass.

Date: 10/22/05 16:43

This shot shows what the trailing unit looks like after helping a train over the pass.

Date: 10/22/05 17:05
Author: RS12394

When I left the MRL on 10-11 after a great visit, there were 7 SD70Aces running; five out of Helena, one out of Livingston, and one, the 4313, was on an employee appreciaton train at Laurel. I imagine several more are on the property by now. The engines are doing a good job and the railroad is experimenting with train placement, etc. It appears that 5 SD70s will replace 8 regular helper units, but on several occasions, four SD70s have replaced 8 units. The speed is just a bit slower, but the trains march right up the mountain. The units get filthy in helper service, but they are washed every day or two to keep them looking nice. The best place to shoot the Helena helpers is at Elliston where they are cut out of the trains. One has a few minutes to shoot them after the forward part of the train is pulled away exposing the uncoupled SD70Aces. Of course, they can be photograped light on the way back to Helena, but the sooty unit is always the east one. Shooting them at the Helena mechanical facility will get
security on you in a flash.

Date: 10/22/05 19:14
Author: fbe

The gas train power for today out of Missoula was MRL 4306 and MRL 306. The ACe leading westbound and the SD45-2 leading for the home trip. This may last into next week and then the 4306 will be on display in Missoula for employees and their families. Best shooting would be around Paradise account the train leaves Missoula before sunrise and when it leaves in the afternoon there is only light part way up Evaro hill before the sunset comes along.

Date: 10/23/05 00:00
Author: DelMonteX

Great Shots!!

There are still 5 or 6 primer paint units left in Tacoma at CEECO. It appears CEECO has taken a break from painting the Aces, as there has been a newly painted unit out of the paint booth for a week or two.

However, I believe one is due out any day.

Steve Carter
MSVRR
Northern Division

Date: 10/23/05 10:53
Author: NateF40Amtrak

Thanks for the photos and updates on these brutes.

NateF40Amtrak
http://www.clevelandtrains.net

Date: 10/23/05 11:58
Author: David.Curlee

DelMonteX: What ever happened with the Amtrak switcher at CEECO, AMTK #795, that arrived a couple weeks ago?

Date: 10/23/05 22:15
Re: AMTK 796
Author: DelMonteX

David.Curlee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DelMonteX: What ever happened with the Amtrak
> switcher at CEECO, AMTK #795, that arrived a
> couple weeks ago?

Still sitting out in the yard, partially covered with a tarp.

Date: 10/26/05 14:11
Author: FECSD40-2

I wonder if they have a repeat order planned or maybe even allready placed it?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds