Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > That time of year again in Dunsmuir

Date: 11/30/05 20:04
That time of year again in Dunsmuir
Author: photobob

Well it looks like Dunsmuirs first decent snowfall is occuring tonight. Its time for the City of Dunsmuir to break out their secret stash of SD9E's they bought from the SP many moons ago. They are kept under wraps in the old Mallet Shed along with the RailCam.I had to jump start 3912 tonight with my MG as the batteries were a little low.If this snow keeps up they may be seeing flanger service in the morning. The city makes out pretty good by leasing this power to the UP for snow fighting work.Too bad the Railcam is aimed a little to far to the left or you would be able to see them.

Date: 11/30/05 20:08
Re: That time of year again in Dunsmuir
Author: dmaffei

I thought your MG had a dead battery?

Date: 11/30/05 20:15
Author: photobob

No Dave. There were some extra SD9 style batterys that came with the units. I have one mounted in the trunk of the MG. This time of year the weight gives me extra traction in the snow for just such emergencies. Dont under estimate the usefulness of an MG in the snow as they can give many a 4WD vehicle a run for their money.

Date: 11/30/05 20:42
Author: SPkid

You mean you couldn't push start that SD9E with your MG and battery in the trunk.

On a more serious note, what possessed the city to purchase engines to lease back to the UP. I’ve never heard of such an arrangement. How many engines does the city own?

Date: 11/30/05 20:44
Author: samreeves

Cool pic Bob, that should be your Christmas card. It was a "warm" 60°F here around Monterey Bay today.

Sam Reeves
—
http://www.samreevesphoto.com

Date: 11/30/05 23:39
Author: funnelfan

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Dont under estimate the usefulness of
> an MG in the snow as they can give many a 4WD
> vehicle a run for their money.

What, trying to drag the MG out of the ditch?

;^P

Ted Curphey
funnelfan@yahoo.com

Date: 12/01/05 03:57
Author: cp1400

I think somebody's into the egg nog a little early this year. 8>)

cp1400

Date: 12/01/05 09:05
Author: TCnR

Check that calender, it's December first not April first.
Notice I didn't say check that Union Pacific Calender on the wall.

Date: 12/01/05 11:22
Author: brianbergtold

I'm assuming the city fathers bought snow chains for their fleet.

Date: 12/01/05 14:36
Author: TCnR

Maybe save some of that snow in the icebox, there seems to be two parts to the storm, snow to the north (Pdx to Seattle) and rain to the south. How's the creek? Better put those boxes of WinteRail prints on a chair just in case.

Date: 12/01/05 23:20
Author: WR-44

I was leaving the Vet's Club the other day and I was certain I saw Bob with his MG across the street giving a jump to one of the McCloud Railway units in their yard track. I knew he had dual batteries in that little car so he could operate the hydraulic lift system, but those batteries must be more potent than I realized.

Date: 12/02/05 01:44
Author: fbe

Now I had heard Photobob had gone hybrid with the MG. It is not so much he has bigger batteries but he has added more squirrels to the equation. I think there may be another tread mill as well. When fuel prices are high again you may hear the chatter of the peanut powered part of the hybrid MG equation.

Date: 11/30/09 11:58
Author: agentatascadero

cp1400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think somebody's into the egg nog a little early
> this year. 8>)
>
>
> cp1400

So, now that the city is parking their SDs in the "Mallet shed", what does that mean about those City Owned AC's? Eviction notices? Maybe they are powering rafting trips up/down the river! More Egg Nog, and spice it up this time. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 11/30/16 06:25
Author: RNP47

Hmmm... I was going to disagree with you about MG's in the snow, then I remember driving home from Batavia NY to Rochester NY in a blinding lake effect snow storm  in my '74 MGB blasting thru snow drifts and burying the car in my driveway which had not been plowed yet... Yikes!

Date: 11/30/17 02:20
Author: Chooch

Ahhhhh, memories. Ain't they great!

Merry Christmas guy's and gal's.

Jim
Hatboro, PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0586 seconds