Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > How is it to work for BNSF?

Date: 03/04/06 12:01
How is it to work for BNSF?
Author: tucker

I have had a few years experince with NS and currently work with a short line but, due to lack of IQ on the mangement's part at short line I am currently with my hours have been cut back to less than full time. I am looking for another job as a conductor/dispatcher/yardmaster and just wondering how good/bad BNSF is to work for. I am not worried so much about the rules part as my experince with NS could not really be topped. I guess I am just trying to find out how happy or pissed off BNSF employees are. Do your extraboards have days off? Are you forced to work somewhere where you didn't hire into. How does the system wide seniority work? Can you one day say "hey, California is the place I ought to be" and just go?

What is the interview process like once you are chosen to go to one? Does BNSF do strength testing like CSX and UP? (I have been sitting at a DS desk for a couple of years so, I might need to work out a little).

Last question. What's the difference between being hired in Ciecro, IL and Chicago? They look like roughly the same place to me.

Date: 03/04/06 12:12
Re: How is it to work for BNSF?
Author: zchcsse

Cicero, IL is on the former BN, and Chicago is on the former Santa Fe. There is a fairly distinct difference. I hired out in Chicago a couple years ago and there was a Cicero class that started one week before me and ended one week after me. In Chicago, they teach you yard switching. In Cicero, you learn yard switching, road freights, RCO, hostling, and commuter operations. This is assuming that everything is the same from a couple years ago. BNSF, one railroad, two very distinct operations in Chicago.

Overall, I really like working for BNSF. Of course, I've never worked for CSX, UP, NS, CN...etc. so I can't honestly compare.

Tom

Date: 03/04/06 12:15
Author: OHRY

Having worked for the BNSF and come over to the NS I can say all honesty I would choose the BNSF anyday of the week over the NS.

Date: 03/04/06 13:36
Author: MrMRL

I attended the Conductor Trainee - Primary Recall Location (Los Angeles) on January 18, 2006. At 6:15 AM, 75 of us crammed into a conference room at the Hilton Hotel in San Bernardino, CA. 30 for Needles, 25 for San Bernardino, & 20 for Los Angeles. First there was a big long speech on company benefits, Job description, & the reality of what your life will be like for the next 10 years. The San Bernardino Terminal Manager stopped by briefly to give us a pep-talk before the big game kind of speech. One hour in, only 70 of us were left, five were dismissed when they were either late for the beginning or late after one of the 5 min. breaks. (DO NOT BE LATE, YOU WILL BE TOLD TO LEAVE!!)

There were 4 multiple choice tests (Aprox. 30 min each); Arithmetic, Algebra, "How would you do ____", & "What is your opinion on ____". Total about 200 questions, many tricky, read the questions & ALL the answers carefully... Be Honest, don't try to give them the answers you think they want. After the tests were completed we were given one-on-one interview appointment times (for later that afternoon, or next day) and all had to submit a hair sample for drug analysis, 1 inch or longer. If they can't find it on your head, they WILL go searching. If you don't have any hair long enough, bye bye, try again in 6 months. Then, lunch.

I passed the tests, interview, eye exam, hearing test, color tests, & and the strength assesment test. The strength test was a little different. BNSF used an isokinetic muscle strength machine. You are completely strapped into this fancy chair, then they tell you to lift your left/right leg up & down at the knee. It is a resistance test, not a weight lifting contest. The same thing is done with your arms, lift up & down at the shoulder. I an currently waiting for Monday March 13, to start my training. Across the street from Hobart Yard.

Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

Date: 03/04/06 14:43
Author: tucker

Ahh, so not only do I need to hit the gym but I need to cancell my body waxing appointments. Gotcha!

Are all the tests and interviews done within a day or two of each other? No matter where I go for BNSF I will have to drive at least 6 or 7 hours.

Date: 03/04/06 14:57
Author: MrMRL

The assessment tests & interview are all on the first day during the initial hiring session. The subsequent eye/hearing/drug screening was about 2 weeks later, the strength assessment test was one week after the eye/hearing/drug screening. So for me at least, there has been about two months between the hiring session is San Bernardino, and my first day of trining in Los Angeles. IIRC the Needles candidates started training about two weeks earlier than the San Berdoo & LA guys. After the 13 weeks of training & 60 day probationary period, all the new hires in So. Cal will be ready for the 2006 X-mas season, oh boy!

Robby F. (Mr. MRL)

Date: 03/05/06 00:37
Author: fbe

With such experience you could even apply to their management trainee program if you want to take that route.

They have dispatching offices in Ft Worth and Bakersfield if you want to stay in the office.

Date: 03/06/06 07:18
Author: geomel1

Robby!
Welcome to the railroad industry...before you know it, you'll be counting the months to retirement!
George Melvin

Date: 03/06/06 10:36
Author: BNSF9999

I just did my strength test last Thursday in Barstow, Waiting for my physical tomorrow and and I will just sit and wait to find out if I passed all the tests. If I do, I will start on Monday March 20th working out of San Bernardino.

Robby, about how long after your tests did BNSF notify you that you had passed?

Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds