Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Altamont press

Date: 05/12/06 19:12
Altamont press
Author: NS4271

What's with the Altamont Press news pages not being updated daily?

Date: 05/12/06 19:13
Re: Altamont press
Author: dan

the owner died, his memorial was today, numerous threads on the subject.

Date: 05/13/06 05:12
Author: olddude41

The "Railroad Newsline" continues to be posted on the Altamont Press web site under the "Discussion" forum section, Monday through Saturday each week.

It will be moved elsewhere as soon as other plans are firmed up. It may go away, and rather suddenly, for a period of time, but plans are to continue the tradition in Rob Carlson's memory.

Larry W. Grant
(olddude41)
Dallas, Texas

Date: 05/13/06 06:10
Author: NS4271

Thanks to you guys for the information.

Date: 05/13/06 18:16
Author: dan

nice work larry!

Date: 05/13/06 20:32
Author: danco

I know this may seem insensitive, what with Rob's memorial only being yesterday, but are there any plans to keep Altamont Press in operation? Or do we now have in our possession the last editions of his timetables?

I realize Rob put in a ton of work of the AP timetables (and didn't make a ton of money off them), but I'd sure hate to see the operation fold up shop. His life's work has certainly enhanced *my* railfanning experience...

Rest well, Rob!

~Dan

Date: 05/13/06 23:03
Re: Altamont press--future
Author: CarolVoss

danco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this may seem insensitive, what with Rob's
> memorial only being yesterday, but are there any
> plans to keep Altamont Press in operation? Or do
> we now have in our possession the last editions of
> his timetables?
>
> I realize Rob put in a ton of work of the AP
> timetables (and didn't make a ton of money off
> them), but I'd sure hate to see the operation fold
> up shop. His life's work has certainly enhanced
> *my* railfanning experience...
>
> Rest well, Rob!
>
> ~Dan

The family is talking to interested and involved parties about the possibilities of keeping the business going. Please realize that it is only 2 weeks since Rob's death and none of his family live in Modesto and they have to arrange for all of his possessions to be stored and then go through the legal channels to wind down his estate etc. His daughter lives in Iowa and his brothers live in Reno and Twain Harte so there are some logistical issues in getting things wrapped up,much less dealing with people who may keep the business going. Don't be impatient and don't start rumors and speculation----there is a good chance that it may keep going. But don't expect an answer tomorrow.
Keep the faith. The railfans will be the first to know, because, after all, you are the "market".
Dave Bermann did a masterful job with a simple and meaningful service for Rob yesterday---I posted this on the AP website if you're interested:
Carl (my husband) counted 44 of us gathered in East La Loma park at 5 as Dave Bermann led us to the creek edge and the trail Rob walked 6 days a week at 5 pm. Dave had a small nicely draped table upon which were several recent photos of Rob, a lit red lantern, and at the table base, a blooming azalea. Dave opened the ceremony with a blast on a wooden train whistle and a few words about Rob. Rob's brother Roger led off the family memory sharing, talking of how their home near to the Tidewater Southern tracks made railfans of them all, though not quite as fervent as Rob, and daughter Heather Diane (who goes by Diane) spoke of her memories of her Dad. In addition to the thoughts shared by Rob's family, a blind ham radio operator told of Rob teaching how to count the rail cars by the clacking of the wheels on the rail joints, and 2 former radio broadcasting colleagues told of his popularity and status in the Modesto radio museum hall of fame. There was some heavyweight railfan presence----Ted Benson, Dick Dorn, and El Lawrence all speaking of how Rob's timetables were invaluable in their railroad photography trips and of course, we all know that it was Ted who urged him to start publishing the timetables in the first place. Ken Rattenne, Dave Curlee and Lance Gleitch were there, and I read a remeniscence (sp?it's late)shared by Ken Leise about his experiences editing the Pacific Northwest timetables for Rob. A Modesto railfan and local Kaiser physician, Brian Bigelow, was there as well. The official memorial ended with Ted Benson reading the 23rd Psalm from his personal Bible and Dave Bermann reading a traditional Jewish prayer for the untimely death of a loved one. Another blast on the train whistle ended the memorial. About 30 of us regrouped at Perko's, a small restaurant directly across from the Modesto and Empire Traction Railroad where Rob went for tea every evening after his walk . As if in his honor, as we all were getting seated in the room across from the tracks, the M&ET pulled a long cut of cars full of Gallo wine past us. Rob's sister-in-law had put together a wonderful scrapbook of his life and his brother Roger and daughter Diane made sure to join all of us railfans and talk about him. The family had little idea of what a wide swath Rob had cut across the world of railfanning and I believe they are going to try very hard to make sure that the legacy lives on----and there are many who will help with that as well. To each of us railfans, Rob's brother handed a spike from the now defunct Tidewater Southern which was the genesis of Rob's love of all things railroad. A very fitting and touching gesture from a loving family. We just got home at 10 and are rather tired . I hope that others who were there today will add some more. Dave Bermann did a beautiful job of putting together a simple and very meaningful salute to a railroad legend who probably didn't know he was one. C.

Date: 05/14/06 18:28
Re: Altamont press--future
Author: danco

Sounds like a wonderful, and very apropos, memorial.

~Dan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0671 seconds