Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > D&RGW Heritage Unit Arrives in Denver 6/12/06

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/12/06 22:03
D&RGW Heritage Unit Arrives in Denver 6/12/06
Author: Pinlifter

Here it is. Well tarped anyway. Just curious how many people are going to be there this Saturday for the unveiling?

The third picture is the back step zoomed in. if you look real hard it looks like the tiger stripes are on the rear. Sorry, I should have zoomed in with a different lense. I just zoomed in a far away shot.

Date: 06/12/06 22:07
Re: D&RGW Heritage Unit Arrives in Denver 6/12/06
Author: RioGrandeFan

Sure got here fast! I wasn't expecting it until at least Wednesday.

I for one will be there Saturday to watch the tarp come off. Word is a crane will be used to lift the tarp off when the time comes. Only a few more days!!

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 06/12/06 22:28
Author: CSX_Nick

Even though I'm not a huge fan of UP, or ACe's, I also am anticipating this one. Very nice that UP is doing a heritage thing, and thus-far, it's been interesting.

Date: 06/12/06 22:36
Author: Pinlifter

RioGrandeFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Word is a crane will be used to lift the
> tarp off when the time comes.

There is a crane right next to the engine so that would be a good possibility. Shame the non raiload employee access is on the wrong side for a morning unveiling.

Date: 06/12/06 22:43
Author: mtnwestrail

I received two similar photos to Pinlifters and a detail shot of the rear of the engineer's side where the tarps had been separated a bit. It shows "orange" stripes on a black background, see the last photo at the following link: http://www.mtnwestrail.com/up1989.htm.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 06/12/06 22:59
Author: NH2006

I plan on being there in the horde but more or less it was going to be a Father's Day trip to N Scale Supply anyway...so if the light is bad I won't be heart broken.

Date: 06/12/06 23:08

Look closer, it appears to be 4 horizontal black stripes on an orange background. Possibly the rear half is the 4-stripe F unit scheme. Also of note the ditchlights are black.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 06/12/06 23:18

> Look closer, it appears to be 4 horizontal black
> stripes on an orange background. Possibly the rear
> half is the 4-stripe F unit scheme. Also of note
> the ditchlights are black.

Let the debate begin! ;-P It could be either, but I tend to think the stripes are orange based on the black base at the walkway level and the black paint on the ditchlight housings as you mentioned.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 06/13/06 00:36
Author: alex14ramos

Very interesting stuff, I am sure whatever it looks like most of us will be satisfied. My question is, whats with the extended cab area on the firemans side?

Take Care,
Alex Ramos

Date: 06/13/06 00:42

Alex, my guess is that is some kind of framework they placed underneath the tarp to make it easier to lift it off to unveil the unit on Saturday.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 06/13/06 01:26
Author: NSDash9

Alex:

Take a look at an uncovered SD70ACe or SD70M-2. What you are seeing is that the tarp is resting on the left side handrails behind the cab.

Chris Toth

Date: 06/13/06 05:26
Author: tolland

The passenger car on the drawbar of the unit sure looks like the "Howard Fogg" power car to me. There aren't many cars in UP's fleet with that kind of door. Gee, I'd like to be there on Saturday but I have previous commitment.

Jim Burrill

Date: 06/13/06 07:16
Author: KoloradoKid

I thought I knew North yard fairly well, but I don't recognize that track. And nothing says this is where it will be for the unveiling. But railroaders don't always think straight when it come to a good photo angle. Begining to think I will stay home and wait for Wes to arrive in GJ.

KK

Date: 06/13/06 08:36
Author: jst3751

mtnwestrail Wrote:
> > Look closer, it appears to be 4 horizontal
> black
> > stripes on an orange background. Possibly the
> rear
> > half is the 4-stripe F unit scheme. Also of
> note
> > the ditchlights are black.
>
> Let the debate begin! ;-P It could be either, but
> I tend to think the stripes are orange based on
> the black base at the walkway level and the black
> paint on the ditchlight housings as you mentioned.

Here is another what if: What if some one left that part of the engine uncovered on purpose and what we are seeing is a piece of cardboard or something painted like that to throw us off?

Date: 06/13/06 08:39

John, that would be sweet. It really would be. KK, I'd wait until it gets into Rio Grande country too.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 06/13/06 08:52

The unit is at 1400 W. 52nd Ave behind the building off of the north yard wye. Look west while driving on Kalamath between 52nd and 51st. Kind of a very strange place to do the unveil but that is where it is. These shots are from the opposite side. Loco is facing north if that helps.

About the stripes, guys look VERY close at the zoomed in picture. You can count 4 black stripes and see orange above the top most black stripe. Above the top stripe is clearly a grill opening so it is definately the loco itself.

At least the rear half is 4-stripe.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 06/13/06 08:59
Author: NDHolmes

My bet is on a largely black body, based on the ditch lights both being black. Can't wait to see pictures from the unveiling on Saturday...

Nathan
http://www.drgw.net

Date: 06/13/06 10:36
Author: highgreengraphics

Does anybody have any idea what this unit is to do AFTER the ceremonies on Saturday? - - - - - - - - JLH

Date: 06/13/06 10:41
Author: switchlock

tolland Wrote:
> The passenger car on the drawbar of the unit sure
> looks like the "Howard Fogg" power car to me.

Good eye, Jim. Which car is it? Are there more of them there?

Date: 06/13/06 10:45
Author: El4Short

Like others, I can't wait to see pictures of the unveiling . . . UP sure knows how to make a PR splash (and keep a secret!) This should be a great Father's Day present.

El

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds