Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CFNR Corning Flyer

Date: 08/21/06 19:36
CFNR Corning Flyer
Author: WR-44

Yesterday I passed through greater downtown Corning, CA and noticed the lone unit used for the Corning Flyer. It was tied-down on the industrial track just south of South Street. The unit was 171, the SW1500. Has the car count fallen enough that CFNR is just using this sole unit for the north end of the West Valley Line? I thought the Corning Flyer was formerly powered by 2 GP15-1's. Is 171 a former Conrail unit? I was trying to find some history on that unit, but nothing to be found, except that it came from LLPX.

Date: 08/21/06 22:06
Re: CFNR Corning Flyer
Author: samreeves

Normally the Corning job takes a single locomotive. The valley is pretty flat and a single geep can handle a good number of cars.

—
Sam Reeves Photography
Pacific Grove, California
Website http://www.samreevesphoto.com

Date: 08/21/06 22:15
Re: CFNR Corning Flyer
Author: shed47

The 171 has been assigned to Corning since at least early July as noted in a previous TO post--she should easily be able to handle the work load up there. Built as Appalichicola Northern 713 in 1969. Seen at Vallejo in Sept. 2004 when the unit was the regular power on CFNR's Vallejo job.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds