Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SP Heritage 1996 down the Valley!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/29/06 14:36
SP Heritage 1996 down the Valley!
Author: alex14ramos

I spent nearly 24 hours away from home yesterday to chase the SP heritage 1996 on its second revenue run with my friend Drew and Scott. The plan was to drive from the Bay Area to the Dunsmuir area and hopefully catch the train at some places in the Sacramento River Canyon and chase it down to the Sacramento Area. We left the Bay Area about 2am Monday morning and arrived the Dunsmuir area around 5:30ish. The train was running a bit late so we headed to Shasta city to catch the train there where we met up with the Dorns. Amtrak 14 sped through only a couple of hours late and the 1996 came through only 10 or 15 minutes after. The train arrived Dunsmuir about an hour and a half later and spent about 15 minutes there for the crew change. Here are the photos...

- 1996 leading the train into Dunsmuir
- Arriving the depot
- Crew change

Take Care!
Alex Ramos

Date: 08/29/06 14:45
Re: SP Heritage 1996 down the Valley!

After it arrived Dunsmuir and snapping a couple of photos of the unit and the crew change, we headed a couple of miles South of get the famous Castle Crags shot. We then continued South to Sims where they stopped to meet 2 NB's which gave us time to chat with the crew and take some more photos of the unit. By this time there were around 8 foamers total chasing the train South.

Date: 08/29/06 14:49

The NB train that the 1996 met at Sims had some interesting rolling stock. There were atleast 20 reefers that were not completed, reporting marks CRYX. All of them were missing doors and the ends were open. Anyone know where they are headed?

Date: 08/29/06 14:53

We then headed to Gibson to catch the 1996 where it met yet another NB train. Then went to Lakehead to grab a quick head on. After the Lakehead shot we drove to Redding to grab a bite to eat and also to let Drew take a quick power nap. While eating lunch we missed the train on the Redding Trestle... Oh well.

Date: 08/29/06 14:57

After missing the train at Redding and finishing up lunch, we caught up to the train again at Red Bluff and just barely made it to get a shot. We tried to make the shot at the bridge at Tehama but didn't make it so we went to the Chico depot to get a shot of it passing.

Date: 08/29/06 14:58
Author: Pj

What cam are you using?

Date: 08/29/06 15:04

Just North of Richvale we were pacing the locomotives for about 5 minutes. I started hearing this thumping sound, I thought it was just drew running over the bumps in the road while he took his photos, but it turns out we got a flat tire! This was quite a disappointment, Scott changed out the tire in about 10 minutes and we were off again, but only running about 55mph with the small donut tire. We didn't trust the spare tire so Drew bought a new tire at Yuba City and we left Big O about 30 minutes later. We thought the train was long gone but we caught up with it again at Pleasant Grove.

Date: 08/29/06 15:09

We shot the train at Natomas and managed to grab a shot at Haggin with only seconds to spare.

Date: 08/29/06 15:10
Author: QU25C

Nice shots love that pan shot. Wish i was out there thanks

Date: 08/29/06 15:15
Author: alco636

Good job man! Awesome stuff. Must have been one fun day.

Date: 08/29/06 15:15

The train stopped at 26th st in South Sacramento to change crews which gave the railfans (5 of us) to take photos of the train. Before the new crew arrived we chatted with the crew that brought the train down from Dunsmuir, and they really didn't care that they had the 1996, "After working for the RR for 33 years it really doesn't matter". lol. The new crew arrived and the train departed after a NB BNSF train passed.

Date: 08/29/06 15:20
Author: espeeboy

GREAT STUFF RAMOSMAN!!! Couldn't have asked for better lighting up north with this SB MPCWX manifest. I'm just glad Love the Sac River Valley stuff from up north - that Castle Crag's Shot was well worth the lack of sleep and gas money! Seeing you start your last year of High School tomorrow, this was quite the nice way to close out summer vacation ey? Kudos to Drew for doing all the driving (c'mon dude, a CA learner's permit is easy to get) and a second KUDOS to Scott for changing out that flat so fast! You guys made a wise decision to change out the donut at Yuba City for the full size. Good fast work by Big O too, 30 minutes flat?

Impressed that the Dorns and some others were on the long haul chase too. Wonder how SuperFoamer's shot's came out. I was surprised they gave up at Sunset but then again, not all of us have the adrenaline and caffeine heigh of a 16 year old.

I'll post my photos later tonight or most likely tomorrow. I still have to get ready / pull some last minute errands for the pre-game tailgate party at tonight's company A's-Red Sox game. Hey, we get to watch trains, drink beer and walk in to the game!

-Ryan aka "espeeboy"
beering up in one hour for gametime
on the ex-SP Niles Sub MP11.6

Date: 08/29/06 15:27

After driving from the Bay Area and getting stuck in traffic, espeeboy met up with the train at Sacramento and we followed him to Franklin road South of Sac to get a sunset shot of the train passing. After that we paced the train for about 5 or 10 miles and that was it for us, we were too exhausted to go any farther. I hope you guys enjoyed the trip report and it was a great way to end the summer break.

Take Care,
Alex Ramos

Date: 08/29/06 15:32

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Kudos to Drew for doing all the driving (c'mon dude, a CA learner's permit is easy to get)

Heck yea, I don't know how he did it.

> I still have to get ready / pull some
> last minute errands for the pre-game tailgate
> party at tonight's company A's-Red Sox game. Hey,
> we get to watch trains, drink beer and walk in to
> the game!

That's right, Have a good time!

Date: 08/29/06 15:37
Author: CCMF

Kids these days have things so much easier. Sure with I had all the benefits of computer, internet, digital cameras etc years ago. Damn.

But hats off to Alex for these great photos. No matter what info you have, you still have to apply it, and the results are fantastic. Congrats dude !!

Date: 08/29/06 15:46
Author: CarolVoss

alex14ramos Wrote:
> The NB train that the 1996 met at Sims had some
> interesting rolling stock. There were atleast 20
> reefers that were not completed, reporting marks
> CRYX. All of them were missing doors and the ends
> were open. Anyone know where they are headed?

To be completed up in Oregon or Washington, I forget which. Part of a huge new order
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 08/29/06 15:50
Author: fjc

Nice pacing shot, nice car too I have the same one pretty much, it's good for 110mph until the overspeed kicks in. Don't ask how I know this ;-)

alex14ramos Wrote:
> Just North of Richvale we were pacing the
> locomotives for about 5 minutes. I started hearing
> this thumping sound, I thought it was just drew
> running over the bumps in the road while he took
> his photos, but it turns out we got a flat tire!
> This was quite a disappointment, Scott changed out
> the tire in about 10 minutes and we were off
> again, but only running about 55mph with the small
> donut tire. We didn't trust the spare tire so Drew
> bought a new tire at Yuba City and we left Big O
> about 30 minutes later. We thought the train was
> long gone but we caught up with it again at
> Pleasant Grove.

Date: 08/29/06 15:51
Re: SP Heritage 1996 down the Valley! (holla back to Al
Author: espeeboy

hah, reverse photo for you and Drew at Franklin. Also, a quickie grab photo of the QPDWC leaving South Sac with new crew on board. You swear by the observers and foliage in the background, this spot could be a picture taken out of country somewhere!

-Ryan aka "espeeboy"
now leaving the office to get into Baseball mode
on the ex-WP Oaaalnd Sub MP11.2

Date: 08/29/06 15:53
Author: st2k

Alex
I believe the unfinished refers are headed for a small Gunderson facility in Springfield Oregon where they are finished. There have been a number of them in Eugene yard waiting to go back south to Springfield on a local.

ST2-K

Date: 08/29/06 15:55
Author: graybeard1942

Ah, youth! Sounds like a great railfan adventure, guys....

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1293 seconds