Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Since No One Quite Got It........................

Date: 03/01/02 00:28
Since No One Quite Got It........................
Author: LocoBil

.....here is a repost and the answer: Desert Center, California. Located in a building off of I-10 and right across the street from a Caltrans facility with full time residents. As hinted at the engine in the pic is the 4449 mockup used in the movie'Tough Guys'. The TV series Airwolf was also filmed out there and car commercials are often filmed out in the mountains South Of Desert Center and across
I-10 from the mockup location.

Loco Bil

Date: 03/01/02 04:01
RE: Since No One Quite Got It.....................
Author: cnerr

How much of a mockup is it? Is it just the front, or the whole engine? What is it made of? Is it full size or a scale model? And what is ever done with it? Sorry for the 20 questions, but I have never heard of this thing. Very interesting, thanks a bunch for the post. Now if I could convince TV Land to air Airwolf and Petticoat Junction re-runs......

Date: 03/01/02 04:29
Author: davew833

If I remember the TRAINS (or was it Railfan?) article from 1986, the mockup was the top half or third of the locomotive only, from about the top of the running gear on up, and from the cab forward. It was created for the scene at the end of the movie where the bad guys run the loco off the end of the tracks near the border of Mexico and across the border. The loco buries itself in the sand as it continues moving forward across the border, where the criminals are arrested by Mexican police. The replica is probably made of fiberglass or some other lightweight material. There was also a mockup of the cab built and mounted on a flatcar to enable easier filming of cab shots. I can't say "Tough Guys" was much of a movie, but it did have some good train shots.

Date: 03/01/02 08:45
Author: WhiskeySCharlie

davew833 wrote:

> I can't say "Tough Guys" was much of a movie, but it did have
> some good train shots.

And WSC adds:

Well, there was that, plus the novelty of seeing a rather reserved Dana Carvey in one of his earliest film roles (as the "tough guys'" probation officer). Plus, any fan of alternative music should appreciate the Red Hot Chili Peppers scene!

WSC

Date: 03/01/02 11:59
Let's Not Forget Doyle
Author: Larryb

He should have gotten an Oscar for his performance.

Date: 03/01/02 14:17
And don't forget...
Author: smokebox

How can anyone forget Kirk Douglas "mooning" from the tender of the Daylight!

If the prop ever becomes available, please contact the Friends of the 4449, as we might have a use for it!

Smokebox

Date: 03/02/02 07:50
Author: lynnpowell

The mentioned article was in "Railfan & Railroad". As I remember, Jim Boyd and some pals came out west and joined Doyle and friends at the end of filming on the dormant Eagle Mountain RR. They were able to take 4449 for a "joy-ride" while there, and got some pretty impressive photos that will never be duplicated again.

Date: 06/01/15 10:41
Re: RE: Since No One Quite Got It.....................
Author: p51

I know this is a very old post, but has anyone ever seen the mockup since then? I had no idea it survived even that long!

Date: 06/02/15 23:31
Author: asheldrake

The tender was spotted last month in Desert CA and a partial picture was sent to ORHF.   Arlen

Date: 06/03/15 14:30
Author: Andre

And this movie is why Doyle is now a member of the Screen Actors Guild and still get a check every so often, not a very big one but one just the same. The way I remember the story was that Doyle was working around 4449 and the director came up looked Doyle over and said "Wow you look just like a locomotive engineer!" and in typical Doyle fashion he replied "Hell I am the locomotive engineer" and thus he got the job in the movie as the "Locomotive Engineer". One other thing he said was that he never realized how much waiting around for things to happen on a movie set.

Andre

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds