Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Queries--2002 Cap Budget

Date: 03/22/02 08:45
Queries--2002 Cap Budget
Author: Billio

Since the ides of March have passed, most capital budget stuff for 2002 should pretty much be settled. So, here are some questions.

--For BNSF, someone a few days ago mentioned in these threads that BNSF was adding crossovers to the Transcon line in the Mojave Desert. Any more such work programmed for the rest of the transcon? Also, will additional CTC be installed along the few remaining pockets (islands?) of non-CTC'ed track on the Transcon?

--For UP, is the overpass above BNSF tracks in Denver, connecting the Moffat Tunnel Line with the KP, in the works?
--Are additional sidings to be added to or lengthened on the KP Line?
--Is more double tracking slated for the Sunset Route? Some noted a few months ago that the continuation of double track down the east side of Beaumont Hill to Thermal was scheduled to begin late this year--is this still the case? And are other stretches of double track set for the Sunset this year?
--Will the remaining upgrading of the KP Route, excluding the aforementioned bridge over BNSF at Denver, be completed this year?
--Is UP set to begin the "Brimstone" yard, a SIT facility to be located around Lake Charles, LA, in the works this year? It was supposed to have been started last year, but the local pols and 'crats in Lake Charles had stonewalled the project so far. With success.
--The Rochelle, IL TOFC terminal-is it to be started this year?
--Ditto, for auto unloading terminals for GM, to support the contract UP and GM inked last year?
--How much more, if any, CTC and other upgrading will UP add to the CNW piece of the Overland Route?
--Any outside chance of double tracking more of Fremont-Missouri Valley? The Powder River coal line, South Morrill to O'Fallons?
--And any other interesting stuff worth mentioning that I didn't think of or imagine?

It would be nice to ask more about BNSF, but that road seems to have adopted a stand pat mode. If Rose wants to establish a legacy, he needs to do more. UP, of course, can't afford to stand pat. It faces too much more to integrate its CNW and SP partners, and upgrade its original, marginally maintained lines to the high levels of CNW and SP, least it fall farther behind BNSF.

Anyway, if any readers could fill in some of these blanks, they would give some indication of how rail things are progressing in the Wild west. And thanks in advance, --Billio

Date: 03/22/02 09:26
RE: Queries--2002 Cap Budget
Author: LCW

Billio wrote:
> --The Rochelle, IL TOFC terminal-is it to be started this year?

Construction began last fall. First 5 tracks to be operational ( in theory ) by July , or so we are being told..Grading for the connection track to plant 199 and the BN is being done now. I would imagine this is so cars of materials could be set out in the yard behind 199.

Also, contractually, UP takes over switching operations in Rochelle April 1. I don't know if this is all rail served customers in Rochelle or just 199, its kind of a strange concept.

> --How much more, if any, CTC and other upgrading will UP add to
> the CNW piece of the Overland Route?
>The last stretch on the Chicago to CLinton, IA line should be activated any time now. They have one more signal to istall on the East Pass track at Sterling, but other than that all signals are now in place. Currently this strect runs from NJ (mp 105) to Galt (MP114).>

> UP, of course, can't afford to stand pat. It faces too much more >to integrate its CNW and SP partners, and upgrade its original, >marginally maintained lines to the high levels of CNW and SP, least >it fall farther behind.

Most of the guys I work with say the Mainline was in Much better shape under CNW than it currently is under UP, despite major rail and tie programs in the last year, as well as advances in ultrasonic testing.

Go figure.

Stay tuned for more UN-official news, information or instructions....

Date: 03/22/02 11:14
Author: SantaFe

Well I'm going to address some of the stuff that could be improved on the KS division then I'll go system wide. Some of this stuff you might find suprising.

KANSAS DIVISION
1.Finish Double tracking from Ellinor to E. Eldorado. Approximate Cost for 47 miles $103,000,000 (Avg $2,000,000 per mile but 3,000,000 between Matfield Green and Cassoday)

2.Install CTC on MT 1 and 2 Between Ellinor and Merrick (Cost: Dunno)

3.Install CTC on Both Mains between OD Jct and W. Augusta (Cost: Dunno)

4.Reinstall MT3 between NR JCT and Wiggam (Cost 4-5 Million) for 4.2 miles

5.Construct New Olathe Connection. The talk was originally that they were going to construct it around the south and west side of town or possibly go out to Gardner or Edgerton and cut across from there. That never happened. The current connection runs right through the middle of downtown Olathe, plugs up automobile traffic and holds up Train traffic on both the Ft Scott and Emporia Subs. Approximate Cost 20-40 million depending on where you go.

6.Construct new Sunflower Lift Intermodal facility at Argentine. My suggested spot is between MP 8.7 and MP 11 at Morris just west of Argentine. Theres a couple hundred acres of basically field out there with a couple of houses. Lots of room to build and expand.

SYSTEM
1.Finish Double tracking of the transcon.
2.Install some double track segments on the St Joseph Sub to make it more fluid.
3.Construct New Diesel shop at Alliance. When I was in the Ark City pool sometimes power would come up from TX that was past due inspection or that had something wrong with it. Currently there is not shop in TX that can make these repairs and it's needed desparately.
4.Continued expansion on the Funnel.
5.Over the next 10 years or so, finish the double tracking from Gillete Wy to Lincoln NE.
6.Install CTC from Pueblo to Ft Worth on the FW&D.
7.Install ABS on Front Range and Casper Subs

8.Based on Capacity continued expansion of Intermodal facilities at key Location ie LA, CHI, KC, Alliance, Bay Area, PNW, San Berdoo Etc.

If I think of any more I'll list em, but that's my laundry list of projects for the day. Later

Santa Fe

Date: 03/22/02 14:02
Author: cdub

Here's another item for BNSF.

Install ABS on the Sioux City line between Ashland, NE and Wilmar, MN. This line is dark territory between Ashland and Sioux City, but not sure between Sioux City and Wilmar. It sees 10 to 15 trains a day, mostly grain, coal and manifests, as I'm sure ABS would significantly help operations.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds