Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More info on BNSF/Metrolink collision in Anaheim

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 04/23/02 09:26
More info on BNSF/Metrolink collision in Anaheim
Author: rustedflange

This is a first-hand report, I work less than a mile from the accident.

A BNSF eastbound stack/intermodal train out of Hobart Yard in L.A., lead by BNSF 5340, 5277, and 8209 (trace car MCER 2007 for train symbol) struck a westbound Metrolink train running cab-car first (enroute to San Juan Capistrano from Riverside) on the South main just 100 feet east of the Richfield Ave crossing in Anaheim (BNSF location of Atwood) on the BNSF San Bernardino Sub. sometime after 8am this morning.

No engines or cars on the BNSF derailed.

Metrolink cab car 634 is all off the rails, upright, and the rear 1/4 of the car is very messed up - bunched up like an accordion. The next Metrolink car, 113, has one truck off the rails.

There are at least 8 helicopters hovering above.

Orangethorpe is completely closed between Lakeview and Richfield. Ambulances responding to the scene are assisting people on the train via Orangethorpe. Richfield is also blocked as the BNSF power is on the crossing itself.

KNX radio reports at least 100 moderate-to-minor injuries, some will be upgraded to serious injuries.

Reports indicate this was a fairly low-speed crash.

Date: 04/23/02 09:38
Re: More info on BNSF/Metrolink collision in Anaheim
Author: karldotcom

105 hurt, 1 fatality. On the way in to work, KFWB reported that a Conductor jumped from the train...but they didnt say which train. News reports say the Metrolink stopped for a few seconds then was hit.

rustedflange wrote:

> This is a first-hand report, I work less than a mile from the
> accident.
>
> A BNSF eastbound stack/intermodal train out of Hobart Yard in
> L.A., lead by BNSF 5340, 5277, and 8209 (trace car MCER 2007
> for train symbol) struck a westbound Metrolink train running
> cab-car first (enroute to San Juan Capistrano from Riverside)
> on the South main just 100 feet east of the Richfield Ave
> crossing in Anaheim (BNSF location of Atwood) on the BNSF San
> Bernardino Sub. sometime after 8am this morning.
>
> No engines or cars on the BNSF derailed.
>
> Metrolink cab car 634 is all off the rails, upright, and the
> rear 1/4 of the car is very messed up - bunched up like an
> accordion. The next Metrolink car, 113, has one truck off the
> rails.
>
> There are at least 8 helicopters hovering above.
>
> Orangethorpe is completely closed between Lakeview and
> Richfield. Ambulances responding to the scene are assisting
> people on the train via Orangethorpe. Richfield is also
> blocked as the BNSF power is on the crossing itself.
>
> KNX radio reports at least 100 moderate-to-minor injuries,
> some will be upgraded to serious injuries.
>
> Reports indicate this was a fairly low-speed crash.
>
> [%sig%]

Date: 04/23/02 09:43

*IF* the Metrolink was stopped, it must have been waiting for the BNSF to cross over from the South to the North Main at Atwood. Metrolink needs the South Main to access their Olive Sub, which connects there at Atwood. And if this was the case, for some reason then, the BNSF did NOT cross over. BNSF crew noticed this and were able to slow down before impact. Merely speculation at this point.

(Of course, I am using "North" and "South" to designate the BNSF main tracks, I think BNSF uses track numbers now and I don't have a timetable with me...)

Date: 04/23/02 09:53

I should also add, the lead cab-car on the Metrolink was past the Westbound Controlled Signal at Atwood. Lots of questions to be asked...

Date: 04/23/02 09:56
Author: RonSD70

Based on an overhead shot shown on MSNBC, it appears both trains were on the south track.

Date: 04/23/02 10:00

Throw out the theory that the Metrolink was stopped waiting for the BNSF to cross over to the other main track, based on the fact the Metrolink was past the signals at Atwood. Channel 5 news reported that the Metrolink was able to stop before impact.

All news stations report one fatality out of this.

One Dead, 105 Injured After Metrolink Crash
Commuter Train And Freight Train Collided In Placentia

From KCBS http://cbs2.com/topstories/StoryFolder/story_1272858642_html:

KCBS
Email This Story
Print This Story

(KCBS) (PLACENTIA, Calif.) Apr 23, 2002 8:52 am US/Pacific
One person is dead and about 105 people are injured after a Metrolink train collided with a freight train and derailed Tuesday in Placentia.

The accident, involving Metrolink Train No. 809, occurred at about 8:15 a.m. at Orangethorpe Avenue and Richfield Road en route from Riverside to San Juan Capistrano, said Sharon Gavin, a Metrolink spokesperson.

A triage center has been set up and 30 ambulances were dispatched to the scene, according to Dennis Shell of the Orange County Fire Authority. Firefighters were also on hand to help pull passengers off the train, which does have seatbelts.

He said that area hospitals are on full alert and ready to take in the injured. It is unclear how serious the injuries are, but witnesses have described many of the injured as "walking wounded."

According to Mike Landa of KNX Radio, about 40 to 60 of the injuries are considered minor.

The rail tracks were shut down pending investigation, Gavin said.

Orangethorpe Avenue, a major thoroughfare, is closed just west of Lakeview Avenue. According to CBS 2's traffic reporter, Imperial Highway is an alternative route for commuters.

Placentia is about 35 miles south of downtown Los Angeles and just north of the 91 Freeway.

First reports indicated that the Metrolink train was stopped when it was struck by the freight train, which witnesses said was moving at between 20 and 30 miles per hour.

More information can be obtained by calling (800) 371-LINK.

Date: 04/23/02 10:05
Author: myfordbrowning

Photos show that the rear of the cab car and the front of the second car jackknived and fouled the north main track. A good thing that a train was not passing on that track.

Date: 04/23/02 10:12
Author: calhog

So, was this a rear ender or headon? I've seen both reports on TV and even on Trainorders.

Date: 04/23/02 10:13
Author: brian

Of course this is all speculation, but my theroy is that the BNSF train was lined up to cross over. The Metrolink train had a stop signal, which it got by somehow, stopped, and was then impacted by the BNSF freight train.

Anybody else?

Brian

Date: 04/23/02 10:13
Local TV photos and stories
Author: kimura

One eyewitness report said the Metrolink train stopped and then started going the other direction (obviously an attempt to avoid the collision).

KNBC TV photo:
http://images.ibsys.com/2002/0423/1413828.jpg
Story: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/1413755/detail.html

KCBS TV photo:
http://cbs2.com/ExtraLargeImages/1083892960
Story: http://cbs2.com/topstories/StoryFolder/story_1272858642_html

Date: 04/23/02 10:15

Date: 04/23/02 10:18
265 hurt, two fatals
Author: karldotcom

I think they are counting everyone who has any kind of injury now...

25 were reported CRITICAL by Orange County Fire Authority...

Date: 04/23/02 10:18
Re: Head-on vs. rear-end
Author: toledopatch

I'll guess right now that the reason some media sources are reporting it as a rear-ender is because those sources don't understand push-pull operation.

Date: 04/23/02 10:25
Author: ecrrchris

Date: 04/23/02 10:28

Very good first-hand account on TrainWeb! Looks like the guy saw the crash actually happen...

Date: 04/23/02 10:34
Re: lawsuits
Author: pumpkinhogger

Are the lawyers there yet?

After the quick filing of a class action suit following the Auto Train wreck, I suppose there is a mad rush of lawyers to the LA county courthouse to be the first to file to represent the passengers...

Date: 04/23/02 10:35
Re: Surlinerhogger
Author: pumpkinhogger

Anybody know what job he is on nowadays?

Date: 04/23/02 10:37
Could the Metro have backed up?
Author: Retlaw

Once the Metrolink stopped, could the brakes be released quickly and power applied to back up to lessen or avoid the impact?

I understand about the freight stopping distance but those Metrolinks are quick and nimble unless the brakes are dynamited.

Are there rules that prohibit an engineer from releasing brakes on a passenger train to avoid impact because a moving train is more dangerous to passengers?

Thanks for you insight,

RJ

Date: 04/23/02 10:37
Re: Local TV photos and stories
Author: jgmiller

Those pictures are interesting from a structural standpoint. The reinforced cab car front end has very little apparent damage, certainly no buckling. While the rear of the car where it hit the car behind it buckled exactly at a rear bulkhead it would appear.

I wonder if they designed the cars so after a hit like this the section past the bulkhead could be cut off and replace or if the damage is terminal.

Date: 04/23/02 10:38
Re: lawsuits

Make that Orange County courtrooms... even better!

They could all use another Mercedes to park at their beach-side home in Dana Point...

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0687 seconds