Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Beginner's Luck - Part 2

Date: 07/14/07 19:14
Beginner's Luck - Part 2
Author: mojaveflyer

After the UP coal load passed me, I waited for the BNSF train I had seen that was waiting for the load at Clay siding, just east of where I was. Pretty soon he came up and put on a good show as he passed me. I believe it was a DENPRO (Denver - Provo). I knew the Ski Train had gone up the hill this morning but didn't know the schedule and figured I'd wait awhile (and hoped the approaching thunder storm wouldn't add any excitment to my afternoon). About 20 minutes after the BNSF train got by me, I heard the Ski Train call a clear signal at Plain...

Photo #1- The head end of the DENPRO comes through the 'S' curve just east of the Blue Mountain crossing with a visiting CSXT unit in the consist.

Photo #2- The DPU on the DENPRO comes in to view as the train climbs the hill.

Photo #3- The Ski Train approaches the Blue Mountain crossing on it's way back to Denver.

I wish every photography trip could be as productive as last night and this afternoon! Thanks for looking.

Date: 07/14/07 20:04
Re: Beginner's Luck - Part 2
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Nice couple a shots there. Glad you caught the Ski Train on the way back into town.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 07/14/07 20:08
Author: poffcapt

I lived in Colorado in the early 1960s, so I know it gets lots of snow, but isn't it a little late in the season for the Rio Grande Ski Train.

BLS

Date: 07/15/07 00:08
Author: DRGW

poffcapt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I lived in Colorado in the early 1960s, so I know
> it gets lots of snow, but isn't it a little late
> in the season for the Rio Grande Ski Train.
>
> BLS

Actually, the same storms that caused all the flooding in Kansas gave us blizzard-like conditions here in Colorado. This weekend, Winter Park is sporting a 56-inch base, and the powder is unbelievable. So don't believe it... Not for a minute! <G> The summer version of the Ski Train hauls a very different demographic of people to the mountains on Saturdays during the summer. The typical summer season is about 8-10 consecutive Saturdays. One of the old DRGW combines is used, sans-seats, to haul mountain bikes at no additional charge. Many people take advantage of this (usually 25-50 per trip), but a large chunk of the crowd is an older demographic who do the ride for the scenery, and perhaps lunch and/or shopping in Winter Park. There are also several activities, for kids and adults alike, at the base at Winter Park. Here's the Ski Train website for more info:
http://www.skitrain.com/
Come join us sometime!
Take care,
-Wes
p.s. Would you like to buy a bridge? Real cheap? <G>

Date: 07/15/07 15:07
Author: poffcapt

Interesting summer train. What's this about a bridge? Don't like bridges near me. They tend to put captains out of work!

BLS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds