Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > C&NW Left-hand Running

Date: 06/02/02 07:44
C&NW Left-hand Running
Author: lynnpowell

The original C&NW, built west out of Chicago, was built to left-hand running standards; they ran on the left track, signals were on the left-hand side of the track, and early steam locomotives had the engineers controls on the left-hand side of the cab.
When did they change locomotive cab standards to right-hand running? Did their modern steam locomotives (modern 2-8-2, 4-6-4, 4-8-4) still have the engineer's controls on the left-hand side of the cab? Did any of their diesel locomotives have the engineer's controls on the left-hand side of the cab?

Date: 06/02/02 13:08
Re: C&NW Left-hand Running - What???
Author: waybill

lynnpowell wrote:

> The original C&NW, built west out of Chicago, was built to
> left-hand running standards; and early
> steam locomotives had the engineers controls on the left-hand
> side of the cab.

This is indeed news!!!! Where did you learn this??

Did their modern steam locomotives (modern 2-8-2,
>

Yes, right hand side, as were the R1's, M class, and the ES classes - at least the ones that I rode through the waning days of steam.

Did any of their diesel locomotives
> have the engineer\\'s controls on the left-hand side of the
> cab?

No. If so, it is more news.
>
> [%sig%]

Date: 06/02/02 16:40
Re: C&NW Left-hand Running - What???
Author: cnwfan

As far as I know, having the engineer's controls on the left hand side is just an urban legend.
From what I've been able to tell, all of the CNW engineers controls were on the right side, steam and diesel. If there is documentation otherwise, I'd like to see it.

As I understand it, the LH running came about as the CNW was double tracked. Originally, the stations were placed on the N. side of the tracks in most locations. This put the platform on the S. or sunny side, a real advantage in winter. When the CNW was double tracked, for the most part, the 2nd main was placed S. of the 1st track.
From what I understand, the CNW did a study of passenger habits, and found that they arrived at the station before train time, and headed immediatly home on the outbound trip. Rather than move all the stations, the N. or left hand side became the inbound main.

Date: 06/02/02 20:02
Best & Most Plausable Info. I've seen (LONG)
Author: shortlineer

Quoted from Winter 2001 Northwestern Lines (CNWHS Magazine that I highly recommend):
"The C&NW had no left-handed engines. They were setup the same as other roads in North America. There may have been exceptions but I have never heard of such an engine. Charles T. Knutsen in his book STEAM POWER 1846-1956 Classes A-Z on page 9, refered to the left-handed operation of the C&NW: ""Left-hand operation of the Chicago & Northwestern has long been a subject of discussion among devotees of railroading. Many have attributed this peculiarity to the influence of British capital and customs-neither of which is true. The fact of the matter is, IT JUST GREW THAT WAY. Like most railroads, North Western started as a single-track road. During its early stages, the construction crews pushed westward from Chicago hauing up supplies from behind as the rails went down ahead. At planned intervals station houses were erected on the right-hand side to acommodate passengers and to facilitate the loading and unloading of freight. So long as the road continued to operate single track, both inbound and outbound (with an occasional siding for passing), no problem presented itself. By 1855, however, increased traffic warranted double tracking, and construction was started on three divisions of the road serving the suburban areas of Chicago. Obviously, the only place to lay the second track was on the side of the right-of-way away from the existing stations. Now, in the operation of the right-hand road, this would make the new line the inbound track. However, after considering the fact that most commuters arrived before train time and, and therefore have need of a shelter, while upon arrival on their return trip commuters head for home immediately, the road chose to have inbound trains use the left-hand track next to the station. The road continued to grow in this pattern. By 1882 most of the stations in the Chicago area were built and the switches and signal system designed for this left-hand operation. Late in the nineteenth century, when other American railroads were shifting to a right-hand operation, C&NW officials had to consider not only the reversing of switches and the changing of their signal system, but the changing of all suburban stations as well. It was then agreed that since the advantages of a right-hand system were equalized by the advantages of a left-hand operation, the expense of the changeover was not thought justified.""
Phew, if you've read this far, congratulations. Typed by a bored left-hander...

Date: 06/02/02 23:57
Even if...
Author: peterrobinson

the Brits had been responsible for the left hand running on the CNW the locomotives would still have been driven from the right hand side of the cab in the Victorian age like British road vehicles. Whilst boilers and fireboxes remained small, sighting signals from the opposite side of the cab was not a problem, but once large boilered locomotives were introduced (c. 1900 in the UK) the driver's controls were generally moved to the left hand side of the cab.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds