Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Just one more train, please?

Date: 10/05/07 06:35
Just one more train, please?
Author: GrandeGold

Rio Grande's old Tintic Branch is one place I'd like to follow one more train all the way to the Burgin mine. They last train ran over this particular piece of track around 2002 and it's not likely another train will ever roll through here again. I spent a lot of enjoyable moments along this track chasing the Rio Grande's GP9's and GP30's with my father back in the 1970's and 1980's. Apparently this former conveyor of farmer's grain and gold ore from the Tintic mining district is slated to be abandoned soon. It will be missed.

The geeps and the Grande are all gone now. I suppose it's time to move on.

James

Date: 10/05/07 08:23
Re: Just one more train, please?
Author: BrianJennison

A thoughtful and well-executed photo. IMO, we should all try to take more of these kinds of pictures from time-to-time.

Date: 10/05/07 08:35
Author: samreeves

The story of many branches. Here today and gone tomorrow.

Date: 10/05/07 11:02
Author: espee4ever

Gorgeous photo James. Composition and color is excellent. Well done, and thank you for sharing you talents with the rest of us.

— espee4ever

Date: 10/05/07 12:21
Author: Boomer

Any picture with both West Mountain and Mount Timpanogos in it is alright with me, Sir James. <G>

Date: 10/05/07 12:28

Boomer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any picture with both West Mountain and Mount
> Timpanogos in it is alright with me, Sir James.

Wow, Boomer.You passed the geography test. Well done!

Date: 10/05/07 12:35
Author: northwesternrails

How many miles of this line is left in place today and who is the owner?

Date: 10/05/07 12:54

northwesternrails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many miles of this line is left in place today
> and who is the owner?

32.5 miles of the branch is in place today. About six miles of the branch between Springville Jct. and Spanish Fork are served by a UP local out of Provo a couple times per week. The right of way between Springville and Payson is owned by Utah Transit Authority for possible future commuter rail use.

The location pictured is literally in the middle of nowhere (in the rural Goshen Valley). The trackage to be scrapped lies between Keigley (MP 16) and Burgin (MP 32.5).

Date: 10/05/07 16:47
Author: DynamicBrake

BEAUTIFUL picture James...great color! How DO you find such picturesque locations??

Kent in Carmel Valley

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds