Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The mysterious Diane S. Segal...

Date: 01/01/08 09:01
The mysterious Diane S. Segal...
Author: a737flyer

There have been a number of threads about this full-page advertiser in "Trains" magazine. Here is a website that pretty much peaks for itself. There is no evidence that the website and the advertiser are one in the same, but...well, read the decision for yourself.

If you Google "Diane S. Segal", this is the first post on the list including a number of references to Trainorders.com!

Pretty amateurish poetry in the ad, too...

http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/flsupct/83352/op-83352.pdf

Date: 01/01/08 09:12
Re: The mysterious Diane S. Segal...
Author: Yarddogh

Interesting . . amusing . . but I don't see the relevance here . . ? 'Dogh

Date: 01/01/08 09:29
Author: dda40x6900

Either I missed something, or I need more(or less) Brandy in the eggnog.

Date: 01/01/08 09:46
Author: SCL1517

This thread seems as mysterious as the Trains ads themselves. It appears we may never know much about the ads and the, the uh, poet behind them. Shay 1925? Any morsel to be shared?

Date: 01/01/08 09:57
Author: filmteknik

Ms. Segal is mysterious at least to us but I don't see anything mysterious or irrelevant in a thread wondering who is taking out numerous full page rail-related memorial ads in TRAINS.

She obviously wishes to be anonymous as one might reasonably assume the good folks at TRAINS would probably have asked what this was all about and whether they could do a little article about it. I mean, wouldn't you if you were the editor? That it's gone on this long and nothing, not even a little one paragraph news item, has appeared would suggest she or an agent sends them money and ad copy and that's all there's to it from their end.

Date: 01/01/08 10:02
Author: KeyRouteKen

I read that whole legal discourse-- sounds like she is a "loon" ... A strange and possibly dishonest person that TRAINS magazine and Kalmbach should dis-associate themselves with...

KRK

Date: 01/01/08 10:11
Author: filmteknik

> A strange and possibly dishonest person that TRAINS magazine and Kalmbach
> should dis-associate themselves with...

Even if it's the same person I think it's unreasonable to expect that Kalmbach is going to delve that deeply into someone's background just to run an ad, especially one that isn't even selling anything.

Date: 01/01/08 10:18
Author: fmw

Her ads look to me like she is the relative of a deceased railroad person, or worked for the C&O herself.

Date: 01/01/08 10:30
Author: DD40

When I first saw the ads, I figured it was someone honoring, in an unconventional way, some relative or friend. Was the dead uncle a rail related (railfan, railroad employee, rail industry investor, etc.) guy whose trust specified the ads?

So far as Trains running the ads, they're getting paid for a page, there is nothing for sale, so what do they care?

The fact that she appears to be from South Florida, an area of the country long known as a preferred dstination of various scammers, does add some questions, though.

Date: 01/01/08 10:50
Author: NebraskaZephyr

If she is scamming anyone with these ads, it could only be Kalmbach by paying with rubber checks. And I think if that were the case, they'd have figured it out by now.

As was said before, nothing's for sale, so there really is no consumer fraud aspect to this. The ads don't carry any sexually explicit or ethnically offensive material. Because of this, Kalmbach would have a hard time justifying refusing her ads even if they wanted to.

NZ

Date: 01/01/08 10:54
Author: atsf5701

The poetry is lame and the drawings are bad. I just ignore it and turn the page. I would guess these monthly literary and artistic dog-droppings will be followed by a book of this schlock claiming her work has been previously published in TRAINS.

I'm sure TRAINS enjoys the extra advertising money. What does a full page ad in TRAINS cost? I once heard it was worth $8-10,000?

Date: 01/01/08 12:47
Author: jmw

atsf5701 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The poetry is lame and the drawings are bad. I
> just ignore it and turn the page.

I'm with you on that. Kind of sad really.

JMW

Date: 01/01/08 13:13
Author: PumpkinHogger

Perhaps they are a "message in a bottle" sending coded instructions to spy operatives.

Bet she is really Dick Cheney!

Edit - I too asked a contact at Twains about her, they were cagey and basicly said she pays, we print, it is within their ad guidelines.

Looks like she wrote a couple articles for C&O Hysterical rag, ask someone involved there...

> atsf5701 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > The poetry is lame and the drawings are bad. I
> > just ignore it and turn the page.

Date: 01/01/08 14:57
Author: Conrail7659

If someone had an May of 97 edition of the Chesapeake and Ohio History Magazine....she apparently wrote something titled " An Invention That Could Untie a Railroad"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds