Home Open Account Help 165 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Amputation Incident in Webster Groves, MO

Date: 02/28/08 18:45
Amputation Incident in Webster Groves, MO
Author: XMOP

KMOX Radio Traffic Copter reported an amputation incident about 18:00 today, near the Webster Groves FRISCO station, Big Bend at Gray. The victim was air lifted to the Washington University Medical Complex. There was no evidence of a train in the vicinity. The victim was found lying in the ditch at the side of the tracks.

Whether it was a rail incident or not, people need to stay away from trains, moving or standing.

Ron Zimmer

Date: 02/28/08 21:45
Re: Amputation Incident in Webster Groves, MO
Author: kushtaka

Date: 02/29/08 05:53
Author: kushtaka

It was a BNSF Eastbound headed to Galesburg.

Date: 02/29/08 07:38
Author: XMOP

kushtaka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was a BNSF Eastbound headed to Galesburg.

Have you seen any more details? I am assuming that he was either trying to hitch a ride, or trying to cross through a slow moving or stopped train, then was thrown off for slack action when the train changed speeds.

I think that "Brian's Last Day" should be shown in every school of every district that has a railroad nearby. It is not a game.

Ron Zimmer

Date: 02/29/08 08:43
Author: friscomodeler

The subject was involved in a family dispute & somehow got under the train. The local TV stations were reporting this morning that the guy was a skateboarder. The PD is still investigating.

Date: 02/29/08 10:12
Author: stampedej

XMOP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> kushtaka Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It was a BNSF Eastbound headed to Galesburg.
>
>
> Have you seen any more details? I am assuming
> that he was either trying to hitch a ride, or
> trying to cross through a slow moving or stopped
> train, then was thrown off for slack action when
> the train changed speeds.
>
> I think that "Brian's Last Day" should be shown in
> every school of every district that has a railroad
> nearby. It is not a game.
>
>
> Ron Zimmer

I am involved with Operation Lifesaver and couldn't agree more about showing 'Last Day' --that one really hits home. One of my fellow OL presenters tells students, 'Well, the nice thing is you don't BLEED very much...' That always gets their attention.

Date: 02/29/08 21:22
Author: burlingtonjohn

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Regards,
Burlington John

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/5AF5BF8A60CA7F85862573FE0041208A?OpenDocument

Train hits teen in Webster Groves, amputates leg
By Kim Bell
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
02/29/2008

A young man from Webster Groves whose leg was cut off by a freight train somehow managed to crawl 50 yards for help, police say.

The 19-year-old man flagged down a passing motorist along Big Bend Boulevard about 5:35 p.m. Thursday.

The teen, Joseph Alexander, was airlifted to Barnes-Jewish Hospital, where he underwent surgery this morning and is listed in critical but stable condition. A hospital spokeswoman said the injury was such that saving the leg wasn't possible.

"There is no hope for attachment," said Jennifer Arvin, the hospital's manager of public relations.

The incident happened near Gray and Baker avenues. He was found on the ground, and his leg, some clothing and a skateboard were found about 50 yards west of him.

The motorist who spotted the teen covered him with a blanket and called police.

Alexander was unable to talk to police.

Police found no witnesses to the accident.

About the time of the accident, an eastbound train had been traveling through Webster Groves on the Burlington Northern train tracks. But neither the train's engineer nor conductor was aware the train had hit someone, and the train didn't stop. The train was headed to Galesburg, Ill.
The intersection is marked with flashing-light signals and gate arms.

Police didn't know why Alexander had been on the tracks.

Alexander's family has declined to talk to reporters, Arvin said.

kbell@post-dispatch.com I 314-340-8115

Date: 02/29/08 21:26
Author: burlingtonjohn

From St. Louis Channel 2 news.

Regards,
Burlington John

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=5916195&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Webster Groves Teen Amazing Story Of Survival

Last Edited: Friday, 29 Feb 2008, 10:28 PM CST
Created: Friday, 29 Feb 2008, 9:29 PM CST

Joseph Alexander SideBar

FOX 2's Sean Conroy has the update:
Related Items
Videos

By Sean Conroy

(KTVI -- MyFOXstl.com) --
A teenager continues to recover after a train rolling through Webster Groves ripped off one of his legs.

What 19-year-old Joe Alexander was doing on those tracks remains unclear but those that came to his rescue Thursday evening say his survival is the story.

"On one hand you don't want to be part of a situation like that but on the other hand you are just glad you were there to help, says good Samaritan Greg Spillman.

He almost kept driving but something told him to stop and help the person struggling street-side.

Spillman says he thought it was a jogger with a pulled muscle but he soon found out it was much worse.

Alexander was lying near the corner of Big Bend and Gray bleeding and battered with only one leg still intact. "You look past what you are seeing," says Spillman, "and you realize that there is someone there that needs help and you just want to help them out."

Therese Stojeba stopped right after Spillman, both of them doing their best to comfort the teen. "We held his hand, talked with him, tried to keep him talking and keep him coherent," Stojeba tells.

While that was happening, Victoria Scuzzo was watching from across I-44 police telling her to stay put even though the kid she had taken into her home was in bad shape. "Being this close and feeling like you couldn't do anything it was devastating," says Alexander's foster Mom, "the first thing I thought was a no he is not going to make it."

Doctors couldn't reattach Alexander' leg and he remains in a medically induced coma, but he is expected to survive.

Scuzzo took Joe in 2 years ago when she found out he was homeless. He is a kid with a hard 19 years behind him and more difficult days ahead.

"Through this all he's managed to remain this positive determined loving person," says Scuzzo, "I can't believe that he is going to approach this any differently than the adversity he's approached before."

Since the engineer didn't realize the train has hit Alexander only Joe knows what happened.

Spillman says all Joe told him was that he was running and was caught by the slow-moving train.

What he was doing then is less of a concern to those involved than what he is doing now: surviving. "If he had stayed where he was hit," says Spillman, "the chances are very slim that anyone would have seen him." "It's amazing it really is amazing," adds Stojeba, "he has a very strong will."

His foster mother couldn't agree more. "It is how Joe is, he is filled with conviction," says Scuzzo, "When he is determined to do something he does not stop until it's done."

Joseph Alexander Donation Account:

U.S. Bank
Webster Groves Office
110 W Lockwood Ave
Webster Groves, MO 63119
(314) 961-0479

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0835 seconds