Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Chatsworth Accident

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/12/08 19:09
Chatsworth Accident
Author: spnudge

As you leave the "NEW" siding north of Tunnel 26 there is a signal. There used to be a signal just before Tunnel 26 and one before Tunnel 27 and I think one before Tunnel 28. The next was before the West switch at Chatsworth and then a signal at the switch. (back then it was a spring switch)

Since they put in CTC, I have no idea what is still standing.

"IF" the east or south freight went by a red signal, CTC controlled siding, before going into 26, it would have thrown a red at the west or north end of Chats. which would give plenty of time to stop the Metro link. If the signal system was working as designed, you could not get a north signal out of Chats. if the track was occupied.

It looks to me, and its been many years since I ran on that track, that it is either a signal malfunction or Metrolink got by the west switch at Chats.

There is too much distance between the last siding north of 26 and where the wreck took place.

Just my thoughts and I have been present on a lot hearings. We won't know until we see the CTC graphs, the radio tapes and the tapes in the locomotives.

My heart goes out to all that perished or were injured.

Nudge

Date: 09/12/08 19:17
Re: Chatsworth Accident
Author: GP25

Well. The NTSB will have to figure that out. But I know what you mean. I often ride the Surfliner and Coast Startlight throught here. And I often see the one before tunnel 26. But I also think there is one other Signal between Tunnels 26 & 27. If Im not mistaken.

Also. wasn't some Signals removed or relocated along this Line? I remember before Metrolink Started up Service. The SP has a bunch of Signals along the route.

Date: 09/12/08 20:03
Various Photos of Chatsworth UP/SCAX Head-On Collision
Author: espeeboy

Posting various photos I have run across from the L.A. media sources.

As noted, my prayers go to the UP/SCAX crews involved as well as the passengers aboard Metrolink #111 and thousands of family members worried about their loved ones watching the aftermath of this scene from every angle via L.A. news media.

Also keep your thoughts with the hundreds of rescue L.A.P.D, L.A. Sheriff, L.A.F.D., EMT and UPRR/Metrolink authorities on scene trying to save peoples lives and recover passengers in this mess. If it were not for their efforts to rescue organize in complete chaos hell, there would be many more fatalities.

~~~

Date: 09/12/08 20:13
Re: Various Photos of Chatsworth UP/SCAX Head-On

~~~

Date: 09/12/08 20:17
Re: Various Photos of Chatsworth UP/SCAX Head-On Accide
Author: pecosvalleychief

Dear God.

Date: 09/12/08 20:17

~~~

Date: 09/12/08 20:24

~~

Date: 09/12/08 20:29

~

Date: 09/12/08 20:33

~~~~

Date: 09/12/08 20:36

~~~~~~

Date: 09/12/08 20:41

~~~~~~~

Date: 09/12/08 20:55

more from the rescue efforts within the first hour.

Date: 09/12/08 20:57

espeeboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> more from the rescue efforts within the first
> hour.

Date: 09/12/08 21:09
Author: PSurfliner

The Metrolink locomotive is barely visible within the first passenger car.

Date: 09/12/08 21:16
Author: danf

Date: 09/12/08 21:38
Author: tc

here is a couple of images of the area #1 is a s/b baretable and in the distance you can see the signal head at the switch which is @ the start of the curve I am standing @ chatsworth st #3 photo (amtrak)the switch is behind me about 60 feet. I pray for all the victims and I will miss not seeing & talking to the friendly leesdale crew

Date: 09/12/08 21:44
Author: smitty195

A few of those photos that Ryan posted are absolutely stunning----look at how much of the Metrolink engine ended up inside the passenger car. My trauma/rescue experiences over the years do not involve trains, but I do have a good deal of experience with accidents, impact speeds, etc, and my guess is that the fatality count will go up once all of the victims are pulled from that first car. I just don't see how a person can survive the impact anywhere in the front of that first car.

Date: 09/12/08 21:59
Author: westcoaster

smitty195 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few of those photos that Ryan posted are
> absolutely stunning----look at how much of the
> Metrolink engine ended up inside the passenger
> car. My trauma/rescue experiences over the years
> do not involve trains, but I do have a good deal
> of experience with accidents, impact speeds, etc,
> and my guess is that the fatality count will go up
> once all of the victims are pulled from that first
> car. I just don't see how a person can survive the
> impact anywhere in the front of that first car.

Those images are going to be on my mind every time I get on an ACE or Caltrain Bombardier car for awhile. Anyone in the front half of that car who lives through this is lucky/blessed beyond words.

Date: 09/12/08 22:03
Author: engrbill47

Ryan:
Thank you for your graphic photos. How did you manage to be on the scene? I thought that you were a NoCal resident.

Date: 09/12/08 22:39
Author: DNRY122

One of my thoughts was: From time to time we read about (and sometimes see on Trainorders) practice sessions where emergency personnel develop plans and techniques for dealing with disasters like this. No doubt many of the survivors can be thankful for the "dry runs" (often with college drama students acting as "victims") that probably have given the rescuers an "edge" in dealing with the all-too-real thing.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0846 seconds