Home Open Account Help 138 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Santa Fe M190 in Belen

Date: 10/08/08 18:19
Santa Fe M190 in Belen
Author: ACR_Ted

I know photos of this have been posted before, but I thought one more wouldn't hurt. It is on 2nd Street, one block west of the Harvey House, facing north-northwest. My shot was taken in the late afternoon today. There is no graffiti on the east side, unlike on the west side shown here.

Anyone know what the PVC piping was for...?

Ted

Date: 10/08/08 18:47
Re: Santa Fe M190 in Belen
Author: ddg

It looks like a trick house movers use to get under low hanging overhead lines or wires.

Date: 10/08/08 18:49
Author: GoldenState

> Anyone know what the PVC piping was for...?

During transport, presumeably by truck, the pipe is attached to the top. The reason being, any low cables will slide across without getting hung up on any of the exhaust stacks on the M190.

Rob

Nice pix.

Date: 10/08/08 21:48
Author: Infern0

What is it ? RDC ?

KevO

Date: 10/08/08 21:59
Author: Evan_Werkema

It's kind of the thing that preceded the RDC, and kind of the thing that preceded M.10000 and the Pioneer Zephyr. It's a one-of-a-kind 90-foot articulated 900hp EMC motorcar built in 1932. It expanded on the one-piece, 80ft, 400hp, engine/baggage/RPO/coach "doodlebugs" EMC had been building in the years prior, and similar internal combustion motorcars various other builders had built since the early decades of the 20th century. See http://www.northeast.railfan.net/motorcars.html for photos of other types of motorcars, and http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1773464 for a more complete history on M.190.

Date: 10/08/08 22:04
Author: PWB

Infern0 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is it ? RDC ?
>
> KevO

NO. RDCs were built by Budd in early 1950s. Was a straight coach with operators cab in one end.Had GMC diesel engines underneath connected to the axle on each truck through, I think and hydraulic transmission? M190 and another one were built by EMC on special order from Santa Fe in the 1930s? Had a gas or diesel engine that drove a generator and traction motors in front truck and maybe the center truck?

Date: 10/09/08 10:14
Author: SVTS

A better preserved M160 in Dallas, TX at the Age of Steam Museum.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds