Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Quentin Breen --- Train Mountain, Oregon

Date: 11/23/08 07:39
Quentin Breen --- Train Mountain, Oregon
Author: KeyRouteKen

"Quentin Breen" -- Creator and Owner of World-famous "Train Mountain" in Oregon passed away last Friday morning after a sudden illness. All "Live Steamers" are extremely sad at this event. For those of you not familiar with 'Train Mountain', it is the World's largest "miniature hobby railroad" . Almost 26-miles of 7.5" gauge track on 2000-acres near Crater Lake National Park.
Check out their website:
http://www.trainmountain.org/default.asp

The "Live Steam" fraternity will surely miss Quentin but I know that his family will keep his legacy alive for future generations to enjoy !

Thank you.

Ken Shattock
Secretary,
North American Region,
International Brotherhood of Live Steamers.

Date: 11/23/08 08:49
Re: Quentin Breen --- Train Mountain, Oregon
Author: funnelfan

I heard about this a few days ago. Truly sad news. Quentin made his fortune by helping to setup the cell phone industry in the 80's and 90's, but his lasting legacy will be a playground for live steam enthusiasts known as Train Mountain. But Train Mountain is much more than just a bunch of track on a whole lot of land, there is a extensive collection of 1:1 scale equipment including numerous cabooses. Train Mountain is also next door to the Collier State Park and Logging Museum which also has quite a bit of logging railroad equipment. Those two places make Chiloquin, OR a place worthy of a day or two. UP's I-5 corridor mainline is nearby and features lake side running along Klamath Lake and a stiff northbound grade out of Chiloquin known as Calimus Hill. The BNSF Inside Gateway trains running over the UP help to boost traffic too.

Some background on Quentin;
Quentin Breen brings twenty-four years of telecommunications experience to AlwaysOn Network, Inc. In the 1990s Quentin was Founder and President of PCS 2000, LP (now Clearcom LP), which raised over $60 million to participate in the C Block 30 Mhz PCS spectrum auction conducted by the FCC. Clearcom built and continues to operate a cellular telephone system in Puerto Rico -- one of a handful of C Block auction licenses to be in commercial operation.

In the 1980s Quentin was President of Romulus Engineering, a company that filed over 20% of the applications submitted to the FCC for MSA and RSA cellular authorizations. He was also President of Cellular Holdings, Inc. -- the largest owner of minority interests in cellular licenses in the industry. In addition, he was Founder and Director of General Cellular, Inc., a cellular telephone company that became the nucleus of Western Wireless.

Quentin holds a BA in English from the University of Oregon and a JD from Columbia Law School. Prior to working in telecommunications, Quentin practiced law for fifteen years in San Francisco, focusing on international business transactions. He is the Founder and President of Train Mountain Railroad Museum in Chiloquin, Oregon.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 11/23/08 10:10
Author: trainnut51

this is truly sad news. i was a member of the great lakes live steamers here in michigan for about three years and am planning on rejoining.
my prayers go out to his family and many railfan friends
trainnut51 out

Date: 11/23/08 18:21
Author: tomstp

I have run on his track at Train Mountain. Sad to hear the news.

Date: 11/24/08 05:45
Author: KeyRouteKen

"THE GRAND PARADE"" --- Train Mountain, Oregon...

The late "Quentin Breen" and his wife Sharon (2nd track from LEFT of photo) prepare to head out with their SP Trainmaster unit and PFE Reefer train and lead the Grand Parade around the next many miles at Train Mountain, Oregon..

Kind of an impressive photo, huh ??

Photo courtesy of Train Mountain...

KRK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds