Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Mecca Re-visited - Brooklyn Roundhouse

Date: 03/08/09 19:19
Mecca Re-visited - Brooklyn Roundhouse
Author: jmw

Stopped by the Brooklyn Roundhouse before heading to the airport and back to Phoenix. Just a few scenes from today.

JMW

Date: 03/09/09 07:42
Re: Mecca Re-visited - Brooklyn Roundhouse
Author: photobob

Thanks for posting as I was wondering how the work was coming along on the PA. What steam engine are they working on? I see no one has commented on this post yet. I think you have to somehow work the word naked or nude or even just say girl in the subject line and the the Trainorder server goes into warp mode.

Date: 03/09/09 07:58
Author: SD452XR

Looks like a FA in that picture not a PA. Is it a ex SPS?

Date: 03/09/09 08:15
Author: F40PHR231

The #866 is an ex-SP&S FA locomotive that may get it's front section painted this spring (whenever the weather dries up). The steam locomotive shown is Oregon Rail & Navigation #197, volunteers have made significant progress on its boiler and tender, as well as the fabrication of it's new cab!

The #644 is an ex-Amtrak SDP40F locomotive that returned from a 3-year lease to the Portland & Western Railroad. The downturn in rail traffic has lots of motive power being stored or sent back to their owners. It's tentatively planned to paint #644 back into it's Amtrak colors this spring but it would retain the current nose configuration to remain 'compliant' until further work is done.

Date: 03/09/09 16:52
Author: imrl

Neat pictures. I caught the 644 several years ago when she was freshly painted, although under a different flag. I have to say that even when freshly painted it still looked hideous.

Date: 03/09/09 19:44
Author: BryanTCook

F40PHR231 Wrote:
> The steam locomotive shown
> is Oregon Rail & Navigation #197, volunteers have
> made significant progress on its boiler and
> tender, as well as the fabrication of it's new
> cab!

...and don't forget the drivers painted by F40PHR231.

Date: 03/09/09 22:00
Author: haneckow

"it's tentatively planned to paint #644 back into it's Amtrak colors this spring but it would retain the current nose configuration to remain 'compliant' until further work is done."

Are we talking the original "Pointless arrow" red nose scheme? That would be great! -Dan

Date: 03/09/09 22:24
Author: F40PHR231

haneckow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are we talking the original "Pointless arrow" red
> nose scheme? That would be great! -Dan

Yes, Phase I "pointless arrow" with the red nose. Since the nose configuration will not change until later, it'll be a notched-nose Phase I paint scheme! It'll work out real well because once the nose is reconfigured to it's original form, only the red will have to be repainted.

Date: 03/09/09 23:50
Author: Jim700

SD452XR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a FA in that picture not a PA. Is it a
> ex SPS?

Yes it is. Built in June 1950 as the SP&S 866A-1, the number was changed to simply 866 when the four-unit FA-FB-FB-FA set 866A-1, 866B-1, 866B-2 and 866A-2 was split up and renumbered 866, 210, 211 and 867. At the BN merger it was renumbered BN 4120 ( http://www.trainpix.com/bn/ALCO/FA-1/4120.HTM ) and was retired in June 1972. None of the 14 SP&S FBs survived the merger as the last of them had been traded in to ALCO 14½ months earlier.

The Long Island Railroad acquired the 4120 on Valentine’s Day 1973 (apparently from the Metropolitan Transit Authority on which it was numbered 613 ( http://tinyurl.com/dfkbwn ), kept the number 613, removed its ALCO 244 engine and installed a 600 HP Detroit Diesel power pack to supply HEP for its commuter trains on which it was used as a cab car in push-pull service ( http://tinyurl.com/acpsat )( http://tinyurl.com/dbzpql ). Five other SP&S FAs (856, 857, 858, 860 and 864) were also acquired by the LIRR between 08/07/72 and 07/29/73.

The partially completed cosmetic restoration obviously has a long way to go to completion but, as Chris noted, it may progress some more this spring. It certainly looks pitiful compared to what it looked like when I was running it primarily on the Oregon Electric Railway and Oregon Trunk Railway in the 1960s and 70s.

Date: 03/10/09 00:46

Classic lines.

Doyle's Alco - NKP 324.

JMW

Date: 05/23/09 18:19

Progress was being made on the #190.

JMW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0601 seconds