Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What Can happen to a U30C in 8 weeks

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 04/03/09 15:33
What Can happen to a U30C in 8 weeks
Author: CS890

Some of you were asking what was it, where, some even asked why.

What, DE 011 S/N 38235 built 2/72, untrucked for the last time 4/3/09

Where, Grandview, MO

Why, because it was there, and available, wouldn't you?

We never saw a Chinese Red unit and now we have.

There were just two of us and we did it between Feb 17 and March 7.

It was a Phase III U30C and we made it look almost exactly like a Phase II.

Costs, we're not rich, we did it for less than a grand including axle alternators, brake cylinders & piping, cab sunshade, wing windows foot-boards, horn box, radiator screens, car body cup latches, oil bath air filters instead of paper, a fire cracker radio antenna (16 oz empty beer can and broomstick), and about 10 gallons of gloss exterior latex paint.

How can I put this politely,

If there are folks out there who wish to criticize us, we'd rather not hear from you.

For those who like what they see, just enjoy the pictures, or a Nice Job reply is all we ask.

Regards,

The C&S 890 two.

Date: 04/03/09 15:36
Re: What Can happen to a U30C in 8 weeks
Author: tomstp

Well, you got to look at it for almost a month!

Date: 04/03/09 15:47
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Wow, sure came out looking nice!

Help me understand, as I missed any previous thread: Was this a "temporary" restoration, i.e., did this loco go to "the breakers" after you were through photographing it? The third photo with the missing long hood pieces, etc. leads me to believe that was the case.

If so, it's kinda like the railroad equivalent of an ice sculpture.

Arts Gratia Arts!

NZ

Date: 04/03/09 15:53
Author: boilermaker

NebraskaZephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> If so, it's kinda like the railroad equivalent of
> an ice sculpture.
>
> Arts Gratia Arts!
>
> NZ

What a great idea!

It sure came out looking great. Lots of ingenuity, creativity, hard work and love went into this. Art is in the eye of the beholder - some of the beholders are blind.

Date: 04/03/09 15:56
Author: P5r24

Guys,
I think its the Greatest with a capital G!

Anyone needing to whine about this is just plain Loco,
No pun intended,

P5r24

Date: 04/03/09 15:59
Author: fbe

Great work. It is too bad you could not have kept it around to recreate any number of fallen flag locos as well as create a few fantasy locos. I had thought about that when the BN was selling recently overhauled F units for less than the cost of a new pick up truck. A matched set of 4 or 5 units and a storehouse full of doors, dynamic brake panels and steam generator exhausts would have made for some fun times.

Date: 04/03/09 16:04
Author: ATSF100WEST

When I saw your first post, my jaw dropped in awe regarding the amount of work that the both of you put into doing that. It was a herculean effort, and the results were simply drop-dead gorgeous. If you wanted to recoup some of your monies, if I may suggest, perhaps sell some enlargements that are framed and matted. Put me down for one!

Thank you both for your passionate efforts in recreating C&S 890 II!

Take Care, and thanks for sharing the story and images with us!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 04/03/09 16:04
Author: mstokinger

CS890 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Why, because it was there, and available, wouldn't
> you?

No. I would invest my time and money in restoring equipment to keep.

However, unlike Doyle McComick's PA, at least you made the engine look better than it did in it's "real" life.
>
So nice job.

Date: 04/03/09 16:06
Author: PasadenaSub

Excellent paint work, I sure hope those scrappers felt at least a little bit of guilt in what they were doing!

Date: 04/03/09 16:18
Author: wag216

Good job, to Mr. John "Chicago Great Western" and your partner. Art Gibson

Date: 04/03/09 16:41
Author: daylight

Great job kitbashing.

Hope you took photos during the process. I would love to read what inspired you and how you did it. That would make a great article in Trains. Maybe make some money from the article to pay you back for your efforts.

Daylight

Date: 04/03/09 17:32
Author: highgreengraphics

Okay, now I believe it, seeing additional photos. What a great job! The initial photos of this were posted way too close to April 1 to believe it right away. Just too bad it couldn't have lasted just a bit longer before being dismantled! - - - - JLH

Date: 04/03/09 18:07
Author: Fireman424

looks great, you guys did a hell of a job. I wish I would have known about it I would have driven over for a photo before and after and maybe even helped out a bit labor and or money wise.
Randy Allard

Date: 04/03/09 18:35
Author: jackpot

Have you got a head-on, rear-3/4 or in-progress views of this locomotive? I'd love to see some other views of it besides just the one roster shot.

and good job cleaning up the and not getting ANY overspray from those glossy trucks on the ground.

Date: 04/03/09 18:49
Author: bnsftrucker

Now only if the BNSF could do a heritage like this ?8^P

Date: 04/03/09 19:01
Author: jackpot

Nice try--REALLY NICE TRY, guys--but this is a photoshop fake.

You slipped up in the photo of the unit getting scrapped. Two of the handrail stanchions are missing--one where at the end of the battery box, and the one next to it where the drop-down bend ends.

Good try, though. . .pretty convincing photoshop work!

Date: 04/03/09 19:10
Author: RRTrainingServices

Guys, if you believe that this is "real" and not a photoshop job, I have an Operating Santa fe 4-8-8-4 to sell you, cheap. I'll even throw in a 12 mile Cuban shortline to run it on.

I call BS on this. Great photoshop job though, I have to admit, I had to really enlarge the photo to see the tell tale signs of PS.

Date: 04/03/09 19:36

Yup, you got us.

We are such good experts at PS that we photoshoped it in primer so the pixels would have a nice even color to be applied.

And we photo shopped the 'dummy'axle alternators on my basement floor that were constructed partly of a Walthers diesel house kit box complete with CB&Q unit,

Date: 04/03/09 19:53

1. The battery boxes are on the other side.

2. The handrails had to be rearranged for the two additional control compartments found on the Phase IIs (8) compared to the Phase IIIs (6).

Date: 04/03/09 20:11
Author: jmw

Awesome job guys!!

JMW
http://www.waidephoto.com

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0788 seconds