Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics


Date: 05/17/09 16:39
BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: NdeM

Sorry the collumns didn't stay in place. Each line lists the models, locomotive numbers, the number of engines in storage, the location and some notes...

From a conversation with the Motive Power Desk, here are a few updated locomotive storage statistics on the BNSF system. These are only some of the more interesting details, not a comprehensive roster of every stored locomotive. (Of course, some of this data may not be totally current based on BNSF's computer)

Model Numbers # Location Notes
GP60B 325-347 28 Chicago-Corwith
8-40BW 502-580 33 Mostly Galesburg, Barstow
8-40CW 900-951 152 Mostly Los Angeles Entire Class
GP15-1 1478-1498 13 scattered
SD9 1714-1752 22 scattered
GP38/-2 2107-2378 55 mostly Topeka
GP30 2400-2477 75 mostly Barstow, Topeka Entire Class stored
GP35 2500-2649 136 mostly Topeka Most are Laid Up "PE" (What's LUPE?)
SW1500 3400-3470 47 various BN Terminals
SW1000 3501-3652 45 various BN Terminals
SLUGs 3950-3977 21
B23-7 4214-4269 18 Topeka Laid up FS - many ATSF B23-7's are now off the roster
AC44CW 5603-5717 115 Lincoln All consecutively numbered
SD39/ 6300-6399 199 I grouped the SD39,SD40 and SD40-2's all in this group
SD40/ 6700-8064
SD40-2 1854-1946
SD45-2 6450-6523 37 Mostly Temple, TX
SD60M 8100-8199 100 Various BN terminals Appears to be the whole class
SD75M 8200-8301 94 Mostly Northtown Appears to be the whole class
B40-8 8600-8639 38 Galesburg, Kansas City area
SD70MAC 9401-9551 97 Alliance, NE
_________________________________________
SD40-2 FURX 7207-8135 121 Wichita Falls
SD60 EMD 9000-9098 Creston, IA
_________________________________________

A few questions:

Are the SD75M's actually in storage? Seems like we've been seeing them in helper service on Crawford, and making it to the west coast.

What has the disposition of the B23-7's been? Are they being scrapped or sold?

-Nate



Date: 05/17/09 17:26
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: redneckrailfan

As far as the B23-7's go, the entire fleet was retired last year and is slowly being sold off. A number of units have already been sold, with some going to the Nashville & Eastern RR and a couple to the Minnesota Commercial including the unique SF30B rebuild.

Bryan Jones
Brooks, KY
Bryan's Train Photos



Date: 05/17/09 17:27
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: Evan_Werkema

natemuhl Wrote:

> Model Numbers # Location Notes
> GP60B 325-347 28 Chicago-Corwith

That's a typo, right? Santa Fe only bought 23 of them buggers.

> 8-40CW 900-951 152 Mostly Los Angeles Entire Class

That's kind of amazing...not that they're all in storage, but that a group of 152 units is still completely intact 16 years after the last one went into service. Have none been lost to wrecks?

> GP35 2500-2649 136 mostly Topeka
> Most are Laid Up "PE" (What's LUPE?)

It apparently stands for "Laid Up PEnding," but pending what, I don't know. Last time I heard it explained, it was pending the expiration of a lease or equipment trust, but that doesn't make sense in the case of the fully amortized GP35's.

> SLUGs 3950-3977 21

Is BNSF getting out of the slug business altogether, or just the Santa Fe slugs? With these guys and the SD39's apparently laid up, what's working the humps at Argentine and Barstow these days?

> What has the disposition of the B23-7's been? Are
> they being scrapped or sold?

At least a few have been sold to new operators. GE-friendly shortlines Nashville & Eastern and Montreal Maine & Atlantic each picked up half a dozen, and the Perlite outfit in Lakeview, OR picked up ex-BNSF 4263 to sub for ailing Modoc Northern power earlier this year:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1903849

Thanks for posting the stats!



Date: 05/17/09 17:56
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: markgillings

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It apparently stands for "Laid Up PEnding," but
> pending what, I don't know. Last time I heard it
> explained, it was pending the expiration of a
> lease or equipment trust, but that doesn't make
> sense in the case of the fully amortized GP35's.

I had read some years ago that it stands for "Laid Up Pending Expiration". For the units that are owned free and clear, it might just be "laid up until we decide what we're going to do with them".

> Is BNSF getting out of the slug business
> altogether, or just the Santa Fe slugs?

The BN slugs, the TEBC6s, are being renumbered to 250-260. As for the ex-ATSFs, BNSF 3971 has been renumbered to BNSF 265.



Date: 05/17/09 17:58
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: markgillings

natemuhl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are the SD75M's actually in storage? Seems like
> we've been seeing them in helper service on
> Crawford, and making it to the west coast.

Well, there are 26 of them that I personally counted at Interbay in Seattle, WA.



Date: 05/17/09 20:11
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: bnsftrucker

There is one SD75I at Interbay.



Date: 05/18/09 06:58
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: rob_l

natemuhl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry the columns didn't stay in place. Each
> line lists the models, locomotive numbers, the
> number of engines in storage, the location and
> some notes...
>
> From a conversation with the Motive Power Desk,
> here are a few updated locomotive storage
> statistics on the BNSF system. These are only
> some of the more interesting details, not a
> comprehensive roster of every stored locomotive.
> (Of course, some of this data may not be totally
> current based on BNSF's computer)
>
> Model Numbers # Location
> Notes
> GP60B 325-347 28 Chicago-Corwith
> 8-40BW 502-580 33 Mostly Galesburg, Barstow
> 8-40CW 900-951 152 Mostly Los Angeles
> Entire Class
> GP15-1 1478-1498 13 scattered
> SD9 1714-1752 22 scattered
> GP38/-2 2107-2378 55 mostly Topeka
> GP30 2400-2477 75 mostly Barstow, Topeka
> Entire Class stored
> GP35 2500-2649 136 mostly Topeka
> Most are Laid Up "PE" (What's LUPE?)
> SW1500 3400-3470 47 various BN Terminals
> SW1000 3501-3652 45 various BN Terminals
> SLUGs 3950-3977 21
> B23-7 4214-4269 18 Topeka
> Laid up FS - many ATSF B23-7's are now off the
> roster
> AC44CW 5603-5717 115 Lincoln
> All consecutively numbered
> SD39/ 6300-6399 199
> I grouped the SD39,SD40 and SD40-2's all in
> this group
> SD40/ 6700-8064
> SD40-2 1854-1946
> SD45-2 6450-6523 37 Mostly Temple, TX
> SD60M 8100-8199 100 Various BN terminals
> Appears to be the whole class
> SD75M 8200-8301 94 Mostly Northtown
> Appears to be the whole class
> B40-8 8600-8639 38 Galesburg, Kansas City
> area
> SD70MAC 9401-9551 97 Alliance, NE
> _________________________________________
> SD40-2 FURX 7207-8135 121 Wichita Falls
> SD60 EMD 9000-9098 Creston, IA
> _________________________________________
>

Could someone please determine what percent of BNSF's total locomotive fleet this represents.

Many thanks,

Rob L.



Date: 05/18/09 07:11
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: NdeM

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > GP60B 325-347 28 Chicago-Corwith
>
> That's a typo, right? Santa Fe only bought 23 of
> them buggers.


Yeah, that's correct. I recounted, all 23 are stored, consecutively numbered. It was a typo.



Date: 05/18/09 07:17
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: NdeM

rob_l Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could someone please determine what percent of
> BNSF's total locomotive fleet this represents.

Remember that the above list is not complete. It just shows the bigger groups and interesting groups of locomotives.

According to BNSF, they have 979 units Laid Up Good Order (stored) and 426 Laid Up Pending (LUPE). These are only BNSF units and don't include the hundreds EMD, FURX and other leasers that are stored on-property.

I don't know how many total engines are on the BNSF roster, so someone else can come up with a percentage.

-Nate



Date: 05/18/09 18:15
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: zchcsse

The SD75s just recently disappeared off the Crawford Helpers within the last 2 weeks it seems.

As far as the SD70MACs in Alliance, from personal observation the numbers go much higher and are quite scattered. I've seen some 96-9700 series engines in storage there, and many earlier numbered engines out working. 3 days ago I saw the 9404 depart south out of Alliance as part of the locomotive consist (not dead, etc.). The 70MACs in storage seem completely random.

Tom

(Personally, I wouldn't mind if they took some of those MACs out of storage and replaced them with some 9300-series SD70ACes!)



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/09 18:18 by zchcsse.



Date: 05/18/09 19:01
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: washybryan

I would be serprised if the AC4400CW's and the SD70mac's start to be used on the grain trains.. Especially if they start to run the grain loads over Stampede...



Date: 05/18/09 19:57
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: bnsftrucker

I'd like to see that.8^D


washybryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would be serprised if the AC4400CW's and the
> SD70mac's start to be used on the grain trains..
> Especially if they start to run the grain loads
> over Stampede...



Date: 05/18/09 19:58
Re: BNSF Locomotive Storage Statistics
Author: bnsftrucker

Correction, I saw three(3) 75I's

bnsftrucker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is one SD75I at Interbay.



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1708 seconds