Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Coal train for Plant Scherer

Date: 07/08/09 13:44
Coal train for Plant Scherer
Author: navy5717th

This afternoon out east of Huntsville I was about to give up on catching any trains when I noticed a "yellow over two reds" on the western end of the Asa siding. I still haven't figured out all of the new lights associated with ATC, but I was smart enough to know that it meant an eastbound train might be coming. Not knowing the "when" of that, I drove back west about a mile and looked up the track. -- headlights!!

I drove back to the previous locale at the Brownsboro Road crossing and arrived there just as the eastbound coal train arrived. It was at track speed and I was on the wrong side of the crossing so I had to wait for it pass. I'm glad I did. The consist was all brand new TXIF cars. They were almost pretty to look at, but what struck me most was how quiet they were.

After the DPU passed I drove to US 72 , went through Gurley, AL, caught up with and passed the train, and got far enough ahead of it that I could turn around, stop, get out and watch the train pass through Paint Rock. I gave the Engineer a high wave of my arm and he responded with a single blast.

The power up front were BNSF 5812 in the lead and BNSF 5710 in the #2 slot. The DPU was BNSF 6060. Once again, the quietness of these new cars was impressive. Not a flat wheel in over 100 cars ( I didn't count them but these trains are usually 115-120 cars long.

Mea culpa for forgetting to bring my camera .

Fritz in Huntsville, AL

Date: 07/08/09 18:28
Re: Coal train for Plant Scherer
Author: bdemaeyer

It originates all the way from Wyoming in the Powder river basin. Used to be a daily 5 day trip, not sure now.

Date: 07/09/09 08:46
Re: Coal train for Plant Scherer
Author: gmojim

Confirmed from someone at Plant Scherer that this train was not a Scherer train. They said the train was for TVA at Kingston TN, or for a NC power plant test burn. Believe the cars were TIFX cars. That is the leasing company.

gmojim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds