Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Metrolink Camera Train in Buena Park, CA Today

Date: 10/11/09 18:40
Metrolink Camera Train in Buena Park, CA Today
Author: MrMRL

Saw this special Metrolink camera train heading westbound on BNSF's San Bernardino Sub at Buena Park this afternoon. Guess I've been filmed now huh...

(note the blanked out front windows on the conductor's side of both SCAX 856 and 800)

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/11/09 18:41
Re: Metrolink Camera Train in Buena Park, CA Today

Going away shots...

The engineer called out every signal as "Metrolink Special".

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/11/09 18:42
Author: glennzky

What's that about?

Date: 10/11/09 18:44

glennzky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's that about?

Metrolink is currently recording all their routes for future training and MOW location identification purposes.

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/11/09 18:46
Author: john1082

If all that they are doing is shooting film / tape then why include a car? Braking? Enough axles for signal actuation?

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 10/11/09 19:02

john1082 Wrote:
> If all that they are doing is shooting film / tape
> then why include a car? Braking? Enough axles
> for signal actuation?

More than likely there is a crew of people in the passenger car viewing the recording and dealing with any of the technical or electrical issues involved. There isn't much space in the locomotive cabs for camera gear, auxiliary power, storage devices, additional personnel, etc. Easier to run cables from the camera back to the a trailing car.

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/11/09 19:20
Author: Pacific_Division

On BNSF if you have 4 (?) or less axles the dispatcher has to do funny things to make sure your blocks show occupied. I do not know what they do but they have mentioned something about it to me before.
Kevin

Date: 10/11/09 19:51
Author: PHall

You also have a bigger toilet in that coach then either of the locomotives!

Date: 10/11/09 20:06
Author: Jaanfo

Pacific_Division Wrote:
> On BNSF if you have 4 (?) or less axles the
> dispatcher has to do funny things to make sure
> your blocks show occupied. I do not know what they
> do but they have mentioned something about it to
> me before.
> Kevin

Yes, also the train needs 12 axles to reliably activate crossing gates, at least as far as BNSF's System Special Instructions reads.

I've heard a lot of things, I've heard it is an agency of some type which is trying to document all the Commuter rail lines in the US, I've heard it has something to do with Metrolink's upcoming implementation of PTC, and I've heard it has to do with training and qualifying employees.

I've observed a few things too... The train came down to San Diego yesterday and today, Yesterday they went and documented the BNSF territory East of San Diego (Possibly just the section of territory the Coaster trains traverse to reach the MTS yard for their layover, didn't see how far down) and they have a very specific idea of what they want to document, so much so that when they entered the River Subdivision this afternoon the Dispatcher had a discussion with them over how they wanted to get into LAUPT (Main 3 from Soto to SD Jct, then 4 Lead to CP Terminal, NOT CP MISSION, then cross over to track whatever) and they HAD to go to the depot before going to the yard to tie up.

Since they went beyond Metrolink territory I'd say it's more then just a Metrolink deal (admittedly, however, Metrolink is contracted to dispatch Coaster's turf) That said, the board's still discussing a PTC implementation plan, so I doubt it has to do with PTC. It's really confusing.

Date: 10/11/09 20:57
Author: LVFoamer

I was contacted about doing the videos and filming for this. Its for a few things... The first one is for PTC. Its going to be used in the quoting and bidding for PTC. I think its funded by WabTec. The seccond thing is somthing to do with Amtraks bid to run Metrolinks trains.. Its also going to be used for training videos for everyone. The job I bid on was 45+ different videos from dispatcher training to crossing safety. I bid on this 11 months ago. The amount of work was crazy. Working with Metrolink is a giant pain. I have done it over the last 10 years and its not worth it so I always bid high. Whats funny is every new company they use never comes back for more... This job had to be done in 1080HD with a Blue Ray recorder cam. This is a $24K cam.. It had to be recorded on 3 different formats at one time.. Blue Ray, P2 Card, and DV. That's a bunch of expensive stuff. I have it all but only a few guys in LA have most of it. I know cause it was my cam and mount in the cabs. Long story but we always help our friends... Like anything with Metrolink it took 3 months to replace the cab windows (they where to pitted to shot through) and then they only had 2 days to set up the shoot. That's why there is cardboard and gaff tape all over the windows. The cam mounting was awsome. Its a steady cam mount that's attached to the dash. We are talking movie stuff here.. It will be out and about all over the system for the next week from what I understand. I will ask for some pics of the cam mounts and some other stuff... Metrolink is picky and likes to keep things closed about what they do.. I might even get an angry E-Mail for posting this.

James

Date: 10/12/09 11:15
Author: rosevillebill

Hello

Is it me, or does locomotive #856, desperately need a new paint job?

Wow that locomotive is starting to look really bad, it reminds me of the series of UP SD60M's, from a few years back, whose paint was fading and peeling off.

Could this locomotive be sporting that same environmentally friendly paint, from a few years ago, which never worked out and faded/peeled away?

RosevilleBill
Longmont, CO.

Date: 10/12/09 18:43
Author: erielackawanna

Oops, it's 865.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/09 18:44 by erielackawanna.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1494 seconds