Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP "Fog Charts"?

Date: 01/31/10 09:24
UP "Fog Charts"?
Author: neokrrfan

Howdy,

Have come across a couple of references to Union Pacific "Fog charts".
Curious as what they are & used for?

TIA

Date: 01/31/10 09:30
Re: UP "Fog Charts"?
Author: Amtkrd4man

Notes put together for the train crews over the route. Kind of like a map of their territory...

Date: 01/31/10 10:07
Author: BobB

http://www.fogchart.com/

Although the site states that the charts are for UP employees only, there still appear to be some older charts available to the world at large.

Date: 01/31/10 10:35
Author: neokrrfan

Thank you for info & link.
Much appreciated.

Date: 01/31/10 12:10
Author: agentatascadero

I just saw my first Fog Charts recently, they are very much like track profile charts. My understanding of the difference is the Profile Charts have all the pertinent information about the engineering and signaling of a line, whereas the Fog Charts are somewaht more informal and less complete, and I think it to be the engineering data which is missing. Apparantly, there is a former UP hogger who made the first Fog Charts, and the UP subsequently contracted with him to do the entire UP. Perhaps someday they will become available to the public. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 01/31/10 12:29
Author: NdeM

Fog charts list landmarks and distances along a line so that a crew can refer to it when running in foggy conditions. For example, when passing signal 2372 in the fog, the chart will list the distance to the next signal, as well as any road crossings or other visible landmarks. It comes in handy when fog reduces visibility to a matter of feet.

Oh yeah, and other railroads have fog charts too. In my area, they are simply put together and maintained by the crews.

Date: 01/31/10 14:33
Author: NightCoast

Used for fuel conservation.

Axy

Date: 01/31/10 23:41
Author: portlander

Jerry Freidman was an engineer for the SP/UP in Oregon. I worked many trips with him down to Eugene. He's quite a talker, but an all around good guy. I'm glad to see that he's still in business.

-p

Date: 02/01/10 21:56
Author: Steamjocky

Axy_Dent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Used for fuel conservation.
>
> Axy

Fuel conservation? Are you nuts, Vic?

JDE - with tongue in cheek

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0314 seconds