Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What became of? (or another crack at NWP/NCRR)

Date: 05/02/10 10:28
What became of? (or another crack at NWP/NCRR)
Author: 251F

The last time I ventured to the northern part of the North Coast Railroad (Northwestern Pacific)in September 2001, I found in pretty bad shape NCRR (ex-SP) GP9Es 3190, 3779 and 3857 along with ex-CCT GP7 70 at Eureka, CA.

Has anything more happened with these locomotives? Have they been scrapped or are they still languishing away in the same position? There were also a handful of bulkhead flats sitting in various places also not having turned a wheel in years.

Even with all the track work at Schellville and the south end, it seems unlikely the washout damage will never be repaired and these orphaned locomotives have little chance of an operable future. I recall reading somewhere that either the city of Eureka or Humboldt County have confiscated the north end of the line near Eureka with some sort of plan to possibly restore it and run sightseeing trains south to where? Is that still being tossed around?

Some more historical information about the north end is here: http://sunnyfortuna.com/railroad/

Daniel

Date: 05/02/10 10:32
Re: What became of? (or another crack at NWP/NCRR)

And on the same trip at Willits, I found ex-CCT 80 RS1 and SP 4304 (lettered BUGX otherwise known as [Dave] Brugge and [Matt] Mason's Dieselmotive Co. Inc. of Turlock, CA) in a slightly better condition as the NCRR locomotives I found in Eureka.

Did either of these locomotives make it out of town alive?

Daniel

Date: 05/02/10 11:18
Author: KeyRouteKen

You have your "reporting marks" names wrong, Sir.. "BUGX" represents Dieselmotive Co.,Inc of Turlock, Calif in the guise of JIM "BUGS" BRUGGERE and MATT MONSON...

For your info, "Bugs" Bruggere is an oldtime member of BAERA at the Western Railway Museum at Rio Vista Junction, CA and today, is probably only ONE of two people in the World, fully experienced and qualified to operate "Nevada Copper Belt" # 21 (YERINGTON), currently at the CSRM facility in Sacramento.

"BUGS" appears on my "Sacramento Northern Excursions" video I produced, operating # 21 on the SN mainline in Solano and Yolo counties, for the 1969 ARM Convention. He is seen at the controls of the big Hall-Scott engine.
I lot of folks don't know that the "YERINGTON" could run up to 70 mph and pull some
25-cars. Look at it today and you'd think "NO WAY"...

Hope all this info helps in some way.

Ken Shattock (KRK)

Date: 05/02/10 15:32

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have your "reporting marks" names wrong, Sir..
> "BUGX" represents Dieselmotive Co.,Inc of
> Turlock, Calif in the guise of JIM "BUGS" BRUGGERE
> and MATT MONSON...
>

Thanks for the correction of Mr. Bruggere's first name.

I copied the BUGX information including, evidently, an incorrect name from an equipment register listing.

d.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/10 15:34 by 251F.

Date: 05/02/10 19:35
Author: GRNDMND

Those GP's were still, as you say, "languishing away" in Eureka when I passed through last August. Sad state of repair for all of the north end of the former NWP and the facilities/equipment caught there.

KC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds