Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Troubles On The UP Moffat Sub

Date: 05/15/10 15:03
Troubles On The UP Moffat Sub
Author: mojaveflyer

As I drove home from work at about noon, I heard the UP Moffat Sub dispatcher, DS 82, talking to track people about a slide. From the conversation, it sounded like it was west of Plain siding but east of Crescent siding. Then DS 82 asked where #5 was and the track guy told him it was on the mainline at Plain. I detoured from my trip home and sat at Blue Mountain Road crossing to see what happened next. Eventually #5 backed down from Plain siding and the lead engine ran around the train at Clay siding. Then the whole train continued back to Denver to be rerouted via Wyoming. I called a couple of friends - including History Buff (http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2190726), and followed the train down the hill. Its not often we get to see Amtrak doing anything unusual so this was a treat for me...

Photo #1- A trainman watches the shove as Amtrak #5 shoves downhill from Plain siding to clay siding to have it's lead engine run around the train. The hose had a whistle on it and he gave a good - - o - as he approached the crossing.

Photo #2- The backward #5 passes an empty coal train on the siding at Leyden.

Photo #3- A visiting B-17, flying from Rocky Mountain Regional Airport in Broomfield while I waited for Amtrak to decide what it was going to do...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/10 15:08 by mojaveflyer.

Date: 05/15/10 15:45
Re: Troubles On The UP Moffat Sub
Author: CDTX

Oh man...running a P42 backwards...that looks like a lot of fun...

Jeff

Date: 05/15/10 16:02
Author: s0450982

Looks like the conductor is in the rear window of the GE heading back down hill

Date: 05/15/10 16:09
Author: rovertrain

Not going to Wyoming. 6 is being turned at Tabernash, then back to Fraiser and turn as a late number 5. 5 will go out as 6 tonight.

Got a couple pictures of the slide.... What a day

Date: 05/15/10 16:53
Author: Grande-Fan

That looks like a dang good reason to turn around!
Gotta love slide fences.
Nathan Z.

Date: 05/15/10 16:58
Author: lowwater

rovertrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not going to Wyoming. 6 is being turned at
> Tabernash, then back to Fraiser and turn as a late
> number 5. 5 will go out as 6 tonight.
>
> Got a couple pictures of the slide.... What a day

Looks kinda close!

And that exchange is certainly a new one.....have they ever done anything like that before? I know they turned #6 at Glenwood, ran it back to Grand Junction, and turned #5 and switched there (GJT) once many years ago, but I don't remember a switcheroo like this before! The new #5 could get a little short on supplies, etc.....

lowwater

Date: 05/15/10 18:50
Re: Troubles On The UP Moffat Sub, Riding the rear of P
Author: Cal-P

I have met #5 many times. The big piston air compressor is in the rear compartment of a GE P-42. Noisy is not the word,, LOUD maybe.
That conductor in the rear window of the GE is enduring a noisy ride.
More than he bargained for on an average run.. sorry pal..
Cal-P

Date: 05/15/10 21:25
Author: P

outstanding photos. Thanks for posting.

Date: 05/16/10 01:18
Author: zchcsse

Looks like the crew passed their restricted speed test!

Date: 05/16/10 05:59
Author: WAF

Good thing the SP put up those slide fences in 1992. Lesson learned from the boulder the GJDVM hit in Oct, 1991 near T27

Date: 05/16/10 09:04
Author: 1372

Wow, tailhosing the Zephyr! Don't see that every day. Good case for back-to-back units, too. Thanks for the intersting shots. Kurt.

Date: 05/16/10 09:13
Author: orion183

When it rains it pours!!!! Not just the train activity but a B-17 in flight!!!! That alone is worth it...

Date: 05/16/10 10:57
Author: Southern-Pacific-fan

Ditchlights? We don`t need no stinkin ditchlights!

Date: 05/17/10 18:27
Author: SilvertonRR100

Five finally got out of Fraser ten hours late. Crew was saying they were just a bit Tardy heading West. Really unusual to see 6 backing into Fraser. Buses were on hand for Eastbound pasengers and the Westbound buses arrived just after the EAstbound buses had left for Denver.

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/10 13:48 by SilvertonRR100.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds