Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > DRGW Bridge Out @ 713.45

Date: 06/17/10 07:11
DRGW Bridge Out @ 713.45
Author: zengineer

The other night, a small bridge at mp713.45 (just east of American Fork) settled and dropped some 5 inches.. Fortunately for UP, the UTA Frontrunner project had just finished a bridge parallel to theirs..So they've put in a temporary shoe-fly over this bridge until a new one can be rebuilt..

Amtrak 6 was detoured via Wyoming, and the MRONY-16 was ran SLC-Lyndyll-Provo, and on to Colorado...

I was Engineer called on the Ballast Train at 0530hrs yesterday, to drop ballast upon the new shoe-fly.. These pics are of our train becoming the first train to roll upon the new trackage.. Also, note the section crews removing the old main line off the old bridge.. Wonder how many trains ran over this rail?? Just another small piece of original DRGW history down the tubes.. The new bridge is going to be built some 30 feet right of the view in these pics..

Enjoy,
JSA

Date: 06/17/10 07:26
Re: DRGW Bridge Out @ 713.45
Author: IC_2024

Nice shots of quite a project, indeed, and thanks for sharing these!

Date: 06/17/10 10:43
Author: dan

well if your going to have a bridge go out.........

Date: 06/17/10 15:39
Author: GrandeGold

Here's a shot of the west end of the bridge from November 2007. 713.47 is the distance measured between Denver and American Fork via Pueblo and Tennessee Pass.

The bridge was built to cross the American Fork River which is mostly diverted into various irrigation canals far upstream from this location. Much of the year the stream bed is bone dry.

I need to head down that way this weekend and catch a train or two headed through the shoe-fly. What's the speed restriction through the new detour?

James

Date: 06/18/10 03:00
Author: zengineer

GrandeGold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a shot of the west end of the bridge from
> November 2007. 713.47 is the distance measured
> between Denver and American Fork via Pueblo and
> Tennessee Pass.
>
> The bridge was built to cross the American Fork
> River which is mostly diverted into various
> irrigation canals far upstream from this location.
> Much of the year the stream bed is bone dry.
>
> I need to head down that way this weekend and
> catch a train or two headed through the shoe-fly.
> What's the speed restriction through the new
> detour?
>
> James

I was called last night at 9pm to take an empty ballast train from Riverton to Provo. We went thru here at about midnight, and crews (probably about 30 men) were still working under flood lighting.. They've now got steel support beams into the river, and the steel beams across the top as well.. 10mph restriction thru the shoe-fly. Now in the hotel in Price, off to bed. Due out on a CSVTA tomorrow evening.

JSA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds