Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Topeka Nights

Date: 08/06/10 05:55
Topeka Nights
Author: imrl

Haven't had much time for railroad photography of late, especially my favorite type, night railroad photography. Here are a couple of pictures I shot a few hours ago. While they don't have visible trains, I love how the light trails from the headlights came out along with existing ambient lighting.

Both of these shots were taken as trains cross the Kansas River in Topeka heading towards Herington.

#1 Canon XTi 24-105L f/22 @ 82 seconds ISO 200

#2 Canon XTi 24-105L f/22 @ 119 seconds ISO 100

The first one is my favorite. Both were shot in RAW (my first ever RAW only) with no modifications in Photoshop other then resizing for the internet.

Date: 08/06/10 07:44
Re: Topeka Nights
Author: nikon1

Excellent shots Greg. Where were you in relation to SJ Junction
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Date: 08/06/10 08:36
Author: lilwes

Looks like he's at the east end of the old Rock Island yard on the south side of the river. Next to the hobo jungle.

later...Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 08/06/10 08:38
Author: Nighttrain

Nice; these night shots are so "clean" looking. Shooting in RAW looks like the best way for night shots.

JR

Date: 08/06/10 09:31
Author: bnsfsd70

Nice shots, in a location the rest of us can't get at... it definitely took me a minute to figure out where you were.

What's the difference between shooting RAW and jpg?

- Jeff Carlson
Topeka, KS

Date: 08/06/10 13:09
Author: imrl

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> What's the difference between shooting RAW and
> jpg?
>

Ya know, in this case being as I didn't tweak the white balance or the exposure levels of the RAW image before I opened it, there isn't any difference as far as I could tell. I would have gotten the exact same image if I shot it in JPEG only.

Date: 08/07/10 00:20
Author: bnsfsd70

While we're on the subject, here are a few I took tonight down at the Santa Fe station. Big thanks to the crew on the KPL train, as, without any prodding, they asked ME, "Hey, do you want us to turn off these bright headlights?" Thanks, guys.

- Jeff

Date: 08/07/10 19:37
Author: EastKSRailfan

Great photos, Greg! Keep up the good work.

Carl Graves, Lawrence, KS

Date: 08/07/10 19:48
Author: Milw_E70

Nice stuff guys! I sure do miss working those empties, the Topeka guys are always a great bunch to work with.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds