Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SP 2728 Excursion - Info request

Date: 01/27/01 23:42
SP 2728 Excursion - Info request
Author: rattenne

I just came into a series of negs of SP 2728 on a railfan excursion. Time frame would be mid to late Fifties. Location would be Northern California. Does anyone have any information on this trip, and / or the location of the attached photo.

Thanks.

Date: 01/28/01 00:49
RE: SP 2728 Excursion - Info request
Author: vicneves

Funny you should ask. This was an excursion sponsored by the R&LHS on September 22, 1957 from Oakland to Placerville. SD-9 5363 was added at Sacramento as a helper. The picture of S6 1046 from the previous post was taken on the same day as it was used to switch out the passenger equipment at Placerville. You must have stepped out when Dudley Westler presented the Railfan Trips of the 50's & 60's in California at last years Winterail.
Vic Neves & Evan Werkema

Date: 01/28/01 09:18
Author: dmaffei

Vics right,
My Dad has slides from that trip.(Think I showed them at Gridley)
They stopped the train ON the grade crossing at hwy 50
to load the baggage car. (He has a photo of it)
It was only 2 lanes back then!
Could you imagine them doing that today?
Dave

Date: 01/28/01 23:12
Author: PullmanPorter

Nice post, Ken. Also an important reminder for us to always label our slides, negs and video tapes as to date, location, event and any other pertinent information that isn't readily apparent.

Date: 01/29/01 19:45
Author: vicneves

Jon is right. Good idea. Then it would eliminate all the fun at this "guess the location" game.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0322 seconds