Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Looking for info on US Steel's Wyoming Line

Date: 08/17/10 09:25
Looking for info on US Steel's Wyoming Line
Author: map

Does anyone have a timetable or track charts of this route? This operated in south central Wyoming from the 1960's into the 1980's, from Rock Springs north to Atlantic City. I'm interested to know the location of any sidings and station names, along with mileposts. I am more interested in the route itself as opposed to the actual operations, but any and all info is appreciated.

map

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/10 09:25 by map.

Date: 08/17/10 09:44
Re: Looking for info on US Steel's Wyoming Line
Author: fbe

I have never heard of a timetable for this line. It was an industrial operation, one train per day so there was no need for sidings to meet any other train. I have heard there was perhaps a siding or spur track down in the sand dunes area for work equipment to clear the trains. WAF will probably provide more complete information.

Date: 08/17/10 10:59
Author: rob_l

map Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have a timetable or track charts of
> this route? This operated in south central Wyoming
> from the 1960's into the 1980's, from Rock Springs
> north to Atlantic City. I'm interested to know the
> location of any sidings and station names, along
> with mileposts. I am more interested in the route
> itself as opposed to the actual operations, but
> any and all info is appreciated.
>

A while back I posted a thread of my photos from a 1976 chase of the Atlantic City ore train, see http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1831902 .

Sorry, I don't have any paper info on the road. I did not notice any sidings or station name boards.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 08/17/10 15:46
Author: valmont

Actually the USS trains interchanged with the UP at Winton Junction which was 10 miles or so north of Rock Springs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/10 15:58 by valmont.

Date: 08/17/10 15:55
Author: WAF

fbe Wrote:
> I have never heard of a timetable for this line.
> It was an industrial operation, one train per day
> so there was no need for sidings to meet any other
> train. I have heard there was perhaps a siding or
> spur track down in the sand dunes area for work
> equipment to clear the trains. WAF will probably
> provide more complete information.

Bump

Date: 08/17/10 16:59
Author: SteveD

Since I worked on U.P. one summer in the sixties, picking up the Taconite trains at Winton Jctn. while laying over at Green River, I kept excerpts from a few articles about the Atlantic City Line which might be of interest: Sept.'93 CTC Board and Mar. '82 Railfan & Railroad. The pages I have don't feature any timetable nor siding list, but have fair maps of the line.

Steve Donaldson
San Carlos, CA

Date: 08/17/10 17:02
Author: pbernath

The Streamliner, UPHS publication, Volume 23 #1 has lots of information. The article is: US Steel Atlantic City-Geneva Ore Trains by John R. Signor (page 8)

http://www.uphs.org/streamliner/browse/

Paul Bernath
Lakewood, CO

Date: 08/17/10 17:17
Author: WOPRJim

Interesting. Never heard of this line before. My Delorme Wyoming Atlas clearly shows an "old railroad grade" in this area. On page 28, it runs from West of the Killpecker Dune Field Northward to just South of Hwy 28, then roughly follows the highway and Pacific Creek to the Continential Divide near South Pass. It then crosses Sweetwater River and goes up Fish Creek, across a couple of canyons and into South Pass City and Atlantic City. It doesnt mention who's line it was, but I'd guessing its the one your interested in; makes sense geographically. Good Luck.
Jim

Date: 08/17/10 18:21
Author: lotharb

Rob L
I sure appreciate you posting this from back then. I have often wondered what operations were like, I pass this area every year, on my way from Rock Springs up to Lander, WY to see my customers.
Thanks
Lothar
Corinth, TX

Date: 08/17/10 19:28
Author: millerdc

Seems like I remember someone years ago saying the C&NW Cowboy Line generated some traffic out of Lander that was US Steel origination. Even though not physically connected, were both of these lines serving the same market?

Date: 08/17/10 19:49

You sure about the "Cowboy Line" coming into Lander, WY?
Lothar
Corinth, TX

Date: 08/17/10 19:55
Author: BNSF6400

lotharb Wrote:
> You sure about the "Cowboy Line" coming into
> Lander, WY?
> Lothar
> Corinth, TX

Yes, the CNW Cowboy Line ended in Lander, WY when originially built...it was cut back to Riverton, WY decades ago and then finally abondoned west of Casper all together around 1990. Note the CNW operated over the CB&Q, later BN line from west of Casper to Shonshoni area from about World War II on...the original line was scrapped at that time.

Date: 08/17/10 20:16

Uh, Oh, I didn't realize that was all a part of what was the "Cowboy Line". Thanks
Lothar

Date: 08/17/10 23:05
Author: mapboy

I went to this website- http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/ Zoom down to Rock Springs, WY, then switch from "Map" to "My Topo". Where the UP branch north out of Rock Springs turns northeast, that's Winton Jct. Zoom in to the max there. Probably an easier way to reach this point, but I don't know it! Location- 41.713, 109.239.

On this old topo map, you'll see just north of Winton Jct. the US Steel RR, with 2 long sidings, 1 short siding and a wye. The only other siding showing is at the most northerly crossing of Killpecker Creek, near the north end of White Mountain. It's a short siding, not long enough for an iron ore train, but enough to clear a short work train. Nothing else showing until the mine. These topo maps are fairly reliable, but there could be trackage not shown. I don't see a date- I-80 shows in Rock Springs.

mapboy

Date: 08/18/10 05:20
Author: starsandbars

BYU in Provo, Utah has in its archives a collection of maps and photos and surveyors grade notes conv=cerning the building and this line along with video of the line before being torn out.

Date: 08/18/10 11:08
Author: TCnR

Man, that line went all over the place. I was really surprised finding the CB&Q and the C&NW in Douglas and Casper Wyoming. Interesting little RR Interpretive Center in Douglas, awesome CB&Q steam engine and a small number of assorted passenger cars.

Following the abandoned C&NW out of Casper, Douglas along the North Platte and into the Orin area was interesting. They made it so far but just didn't survive.

> -----
> > You sure about the "Cowboy Line" coming into
> > Lander, WY?
> > Lothar
> > Corinth, TX
>
> Yes, the CNW Cowboy Line ended in Lander, WY when
> originially built...it was cut back to Riverton,
> WY decades ago and then finally abondoned west of
> Casper all together around 1990. Note the CNW
> operated over the CB&Q, later BN line from west of
> Casper to Shonshoni area from about World War II
> on...the original line was scrapped at that time.

Date: 08/18/10 14:48
Author: map

Thanks for all the info guys.

map

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1398 seconds