Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > #14 Thrusday left behind the Tioga Pass

Date: 08/19/10 15:02
#14 Thrusday left behind the Tioga Pass
Author: cajon

The Tioga Pass was going up to Oakland Thursday to be on the special up to Portola CA on Friday. Day Yardmaster said the car was going on #14 Thursday, but night Yardmaster said he did not have any movement for the car. By 6 AM Washington said the car was going on #14 and the ground power was removed from the car around 7 and the car inspector had the car inspected before 8 AM and called the inspection completed and ready before 8.

#14 into station at 9:45 and left on time at 10:15

Dennis

Date: 08/19/10 15:05
Re: #14 Thrusday left behind the Tioga Pass
Author: cajon

The dome cars Rio Grand Scenic and Ocean View on the rear of #14 but no Tioga Pass.
Dennis

Date: 08/19/10 15:08
Re: #14 Thursday left behind the Tioga Pass
Author: dan

oops what a shame

wish someone intervened

1 car special to oakland woulld have been neat!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/10 21:26 by dan.

Date: 08/19/10 15:54
Author: 72368

We will leave all names out of this, but suffice it to say that it was not a lack of effort on the part of Tioga Pass' crew or any sort of mechanical defect that left the car behind in Los Angeles. We were left with disappointed passengers both here in Los Angeles and in Oakland tomorrow. Everything was ready to go, including food, drinks, a crew of two and several passengers, however it was not to be. Better luck next time, I guess...

TIOGA PASS

Date: 08/19/10 17:25
Author: Cumbresfan

Bummer, Norm.
I was looking forward to saying "Hi" tomorrow on the train (I'm writing from Emeryville this p.m). The LA bureaucrats that caused you to miss the year's premiere west coast outing need to be called out by their Washington bosses. I understand how much you would like to vent but also know you have to be discrete because you will have to deal with them again in the future. My sympathies go out to those who have come to Oakland and those up in Portola and Sacramento that were going to ride one-way.

From my experience and to all that read this: Norm's car and crew is a first class way to travel but at a cost us lessor royalty can afford. Take a trip with him if you can.

Date: 08/19/10 19:48
Author: BuddPullman

Wow! How cool. I don't believe I have ever seen a photograph of an ex Santa Fe "Big Dome" and a cousin ex Great Northern "Great Dome" Lounge coupled together!

Thank you.

Date: 08/19/10 20:57
Author: golden-spike

Call Omaha special handling. They will work with you. They just might be able to get the car in portola for return trip. But there goes any profit you expected. Infact it might cost to cover a AMK mistake.

Date: 08/19/10 21:07
Author: pdt

The car was inspected and ready to go by 8am, and Amtk couldn't
get it switched, or get their paperwork together by 10am?
Even with Washington saying that it should be on the train?

Sounds like there is more to this story............

Date: 08/19/10 21:16
Author: Abqfoamer

Just another reason why I'll never 'go Amtrak'.
Who is that inept yardmaster who should be demoted to car cleaner?

Date: 08/19/10 21:37
Author: golden-spike

Amk could call extra board crews at LAX and SLO to move this car to save face. This still can happen. Question is, did they blow it? Or was there a reason for the hold back. Been there before. AMK have done it and they do fine stuff that always don't play out. But it does take front stage when it takes place and you have to prove the reason why it took place and whyfor the set out.This sounds like a miss communication or something didn't get to someones desk. AMK should spend the money and move this car. But it is almost to late at this time. Will wait and see what shows up on this train out of Oak or Portola. I will be in Rno and I bet it will be on the return trip. Bet Black..dark color.

Date: 08/19/10 22:47
Author: nonamemal

A car all ready to go, inspected and approved, runs all the time on the system, and still it missed the train?
This is a government run program called Amtrak, sh@& happens.
Are you ready for government run health care? "So sorry, we took off the wrong leg, we'll get it right tomorrow".
Mike

Date: 08/19/10 23:13
Author: railhiss

<"So sorry, we took off the wrong leg, we'll get it right tomorrow".>

Then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.....

Date: 08/20/10 10:10
Author: 72368

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds like there is more to this
> story............

There is more to the story. Unfortunately, we are beholden to Amtrak to move the car and do business. Without them, we have a nice looking museum display. No possible good can come from airing our grievances in this public forum. Rest assured that we will take up the issue with the appropriate parties at a later date.

Date: 08/20/10 16:31
Author: warren49

nonamemal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A car all ready to go, inspected and approved,
> runs all the time on the system, and still it
> missed the train?
> This is a government run program called Amtrak,
> sh@& happens.
> Are you ready for government run health care? "So
> sorry, we took off the wrong leg, we'll get it
> right tomorrow".
> Mike

Of course, that argument has no validity whatsoever. If we follow that logic, we should never have defeated the Germans in two world wars, as well as the Japanese in one of those, defeated communism, gone to the moon, or achieved any other of the long list of accomplishments that were lead by various departments and agencies of the government. The notion that government cannot and has not ever been successful is an outright falsehood.

Date: 08/20/10 21:27
Author: nonamemal

Warren,
When it comes to killing people and destroying their stuff, and spending lots of money (and even wasting some) along the way, is the kind of government program we do very well. In fact, that is a good thing because otherwise we may all be speaking German or Russian today.
My dig was that government has a hard time providing a SERVICE. National defense (which included going to the moon because of the ballistic missile lessons learned) is an obligation that no mere individual or State could hope to handle. Those ARE the things that government should do. By your response, government can do everything well. That's just not the case. Bigger government means less choices, and more mistakes, for you regarding your everyday life.
Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds