Home Open Account Help 135 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Richmond, CA Honda Yard Switching Contractor

Date: 08/24/10 16:53
Richmond, CA Honda Yard Switching Contractor
Author: shed47

The Port of Richmond has recently been phasing into use a new seven track rail yard that is part of a $40 million rail infrastructure developement project. The new yard adjacent to the Point Potrero Marine Terminal will load imported Honda products and allow direct ship-to-rail transfer eliminating the over-the-road run to the main BNSF yard. The following link from Port Technology Int'l. dates from last November but provides a good summary of this project:
http://www.porttechnology.org/customs_security/Port-of-Richmond-breaks-ground-on-40-Million-rail/5297.html

NorCal Rail Systems--reporting marks NOCR--has won the switching contract and is using leased BNSF genset 1266 with NOCR marks over the side cab numbers as seen in the attached photos. Any word on whether NOCR will be acquiring its own power for this assignment? They seem to be a new player in the contract switching business as I was unable to come up with any online info on them.

Date: 08/24/10 17:45
Re: Richmond, CA Honda Yard Switching Contractor
Author: UP9000

Did the crew give a darn that you were photograqphing them?

Date: 08/24/10 20:27
Author: Yarddogh

Nice work Bob, catching that. Heard that job was outsourced, but your photos
are my first confirmation. I like the up close and personal photos as well !
I caught that work a few years ago from up on the hill there. Neat to shoot.

Date: 08/24/10 22:40
Author: NdeM

From what I've heard around the yard, they have a two year lease signed for the locomotive.

Also, I believe that NOCR is part of one of the large shortline families - Omnitrax if I remember correctly. But don't quote me on that.

Date: 08/25/10 06:52
Author: Riffian

Is this new Traffic moved in existing trains? If so, what is the symbol and is it daily? Thanx

Date: 08/25/10 09:55
Author: NdeM

This is not new traffic. Honda just built a new on-dock facility further out on Point Richmond. The NOCR now switches the new facility and interchanges the cars with BNSF (which I am still bitter about). Until about two months ago, BNSF handled all of the swithcing at the old Honda loading facility.

No new trains unfortunately, just a new (boring) shortline.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds