Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > US Coal to Prince Rupert, BC Export Arch Coal

Date: 01/18/11 22:46
US Coal to Prince Rupert, BC Export Arch Coal
Author: jc76

Here is the link:

http://news.archcoal.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=107109&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1517028&highlight=

WOW.... There could be some interesting routing....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/11 23:15 by jc76.

Date: 01/19/11 02:28
Re: US Coal to Prince Rupert, BC Export Arch Coal
Author: funnelfan

Ooh, interesting. Looks more like a hedge that the Longview Terminal gets delayed. Does Arch have any Canadian mines? Because trying to go from the PRB to Prince Rupert won't be easy. The article didn't state where the coal would come from and those Arch Coal mines in southern Illinois could be nearly an all CN haul, albeit a bit long of a route.
The most logical route from the PRB to Prince Rupert would be straight up BNSF's Great Falls line to the CP at Sweetgrass, and then on up to Edmonton before heading west. But a three railroad route makes that seem unlikely. The only other feasible route would be a BNSF through the Northwest to the CN at Vancouver BC (already a congested route), and then CN has to go north over the former BC Rail (steep grades), or east to almost Yellowhead Pass before coming back on the Prince Rupert Line (long congested route). This will be an interesting development.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/19/11 05:27
Author: SOO6617

Or east to a point near the North Dakota/Minnesota border, then to Winnipeg and west. This will be interesting.

Date: 01/19/11 07:10
Author: tomstp

That ought to show those Oregon environmentalists that coal is going to go to Asia whether they participate and make money (jobs) off it or not.

Date: 01/19/11 07:16
Author: Betsy

Date: 01/19/11 09:46
Author: dt8089

Could they run up the UP to Easport ID to CP and etc? Dan Tracy

Date: 01/19/11 09:52
Author: toledopatch

dt8089 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could they run up the UP to Easport ID to CP and
> etc? Dan Tracy

That would seem to be a possibility, although there are a lot of significant grades such a routing would cross.

Date: 01/19/11 10:26

For those who do not know the mines that Arch owns here is link to a map
http://www.archcoal.com/aboutus/ourmines.aspx

Colorado or Utah Coal moving to Prince Rupert would also be an interesting routing....

Coal trains heading North up the old BC Rail would be quite Awesome! (if that routing was chosen)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/11 10:41 by jc76.

Date: 01/19/11 11:27
Author: TCnR

jc76 Wrote:
>
> Colorado or Utah Coal moving to Prince Rupert
> would also be an interesting routing....
>
>
> Coal trains heading North up the old BC Rail would
> be quite Awesome! (if that routing was chosen)

Or would they run up the Fraser and Thompson to the big wye and then over to Prince Rupert??
More existing crews, less grade but more miles. I understood that was what the whole BCR elimination mess was all about (aboot).

Agree running over the BCR would be awesome, but that's why it sounds suspect.
It might be time for another BCR Tumbler Ridge Coal revival thread, OT but always interesting.

Date: 01/19/11 12:12
Author: Lackawanna484

tomstp Wrote:
> That ought to show those Oregon environmentalists
> that coal is going to go to Asia whether they
> participate and make money (jobs) off it or not.

I suspect Arch looked at the situation and said something like "We'll probably win in court, but these yahoo types will stall us for 2 or 3 years. Gotta get a plan B so we don't lose this business."

Date: 01/19/11 12:14

My "guess" would be PRB would move on a three railroad move north to the CN main then west. A Utah/Colorado"guess" would be Blue Mountains and some sort of exotic ex BCR move north. Should be really interesting from a railfan prospective. I would make a BC trip to see unit coal trains climb the grades of the old BCR.

Date: 01/19/11 15:30
Author: pdxfan

If you look at the Arch Coal website that has the locations, there is another story saying Arch Coal purchased an interest in the Longview, WA facility.

http://news.archcoal.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=107109&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1515428&highlight=

Sorry, it isn't Oregonians that are raising a fuss about coal ports. All of them are planned for Washington state as far as I know. Actually, the present potash facility at the Port of Portland was originall built as a coal export facility.

Date: 01/19/11 21:07
Author: washybryan

toledopatch Wrote:
> dt8089 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Could they run up the UP to Easport ID to CP
> and
> > etc? Dan Tracy
>
> That would seem to be a possibility, although
> there are a lot of significant grades such a
> routing would cross.

This is an interesting turn of events I never saw coming... I wondered what was going on here on the UP, I'm thinking some of this coal is coming out of Utah and Colorado. The UP has been dumping money into the track for the last four years between Poci and Hinkle lengthening sidings at Ontario and putting sidings together between Pendelton and Bonifer, (that's what the special projects guys said that are working at Ontario now). Plus they're has been a BUNCH of permanent transfers come in and there are two new hire classes going on and now on the web site hiring in Spokane again. I've said before the BNSF isn't going to have all the coal traffic the UP will be involved one way or another. Keep in mind UP handles alot of coal for Arch Coal don't be surprised if it comes out of the PRB it doesn't go by UP... I'm not saying this cause I work for UP, I have looked at the loading out of the mines for Arch Coal and 70% goes out UP, also, there was alot of talk lately that we are going to be very busy starting next month, this would help...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds