Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Double Track Tehachapi/PTC

Date: 05/10/11 14:29
Double Track Tehachapi/PTC
Author: cajon

Double tracking will begin next year and the first phase is to connect Marcel Siding with Walong Siding. UP is currently in a money issue discussion along with negotiation with contractors.

The 2 mile section between Bena and Ilmon will cost more as they will have to put in a double bridge and the Marcel phase was the easiest to start.

They are currently setting in the ground signal pole (ground stakes), between Bakersfield and Bena. These are new "spike" type holders for the new signals that will later become part of the required "PTC" (Positive Train Control). A lot will be happening next year!

Between Lancaster and Rosamond the new PTC antennas are installed. Folded 220Mhz antennas are for the new PTC (Positive Train Control) system. Pictures are of the new antennas just installed.

http://www.alstom.com/assetmanagement/DownloadAsset.aspx?ID=60b383a3-064e-40f1-ae79-66e5c0ccc71e&version=b098a36b501f4418a06d45f8658f82982.pdf

Dennis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/11 14:40 by cajon.

Date: 05/10/11 15:50
Re: Double Track Tehachapi/PTC
Author: zchcsse

Very interesting. In my opinion, connecting Walong to Marcel is probably the one best area they could double-track that would have the biggest positive impact on operations. Most trains are too long for Walong and many are too long for Marcel, so often trains have to wait at Cable or Woodford to meet trains. Connecting those two points would probably be able to create a 'two-train siding'.

Tom

Date: 05/10/11 18:17
Author: SantaFeRuss

Any plans to create a second tunnel under the loop (Walong) in the first phase?

SantaFeRuss

Date: 05/10/11 18:23
Author: Kx450F_180

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any plans to create a second tunnel under the loop
> (Walong) in the first phase?
>
> SantaFeRuss

No. It's not part of any of the planned phases.

Date: 05/10/11 21:24
Author: MojaveBill

BNSF and the state are paying for the siding-lengthening project...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/11/11 01:55
Author: ats90mph

Obviously T-10 is going.

Date: 05/11/11 10:34
Author: frntinplate

A few years ago we complained about line wires getting in the way of photos. Then we were happy when these and the pole line came down. Now it looks like there will be a new breed of things that get in the way of photos, only this time some folks will resort to photoshop to eliminate them....

Date: 05/11/11 10:42
Author: bradleymckay

Can anybody confirm this info: while the Bena - Ilmon section is being done crews will start on the third major Tehachapi project, which will be to connect Rowan with Woodford, including adding a double crossover just south of the current north switch Rowen.

Another project will be to add CTC from Cameron to Tehachapi AND CTC the other track (#2?) from Mojave to Cameron. I think some track configuration changes are planned at Mojave too but I have no idea what they are.

AM

Date: 05/11/11 13:41
Author: DJ-12

So will they make a big cut at tunnel 10 or will they bore a new tunnel paralell to the current one?

Date: 05/11/11 15:48
Author: bradleymckay

PittsburghMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So will they make a big cut at tunnel 10 or will
> they bore a new tunnel paralell to the current
> one?

Goodbye tunnel...

AM

Date: 05/12/11 01:15
Author: spdesertdog

Not so sure about the daylighting.....I was at the "town hall" meeting last year and discussion was that they will cut along side the mountain outside the tunnels......but leave the tunnels as is.....I'll have to dig up the info....T2 will have a cut alongside the existing tunnel.....that I know for sure.

Date: 05/12/11 14:51
Author: mcdeo

They already double tracked. See, here's video proof.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2428044,2428044#msg-2428044

Ok, so it's been After Effected. :-)

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds