Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Rail cars for transporting aircraft sub-assemblies

Date: 06/18/11 19:41
Rail cars for transporting aircraft sub-assemblies
Author: riorita

Spotted these specialized cars for transporting new aircraft sub-assemblies. They are on the UP El Segundo industrial lead just south of Jack Northrop St, Hawthorne, Ca. The Triumph-Vought co, a manufacturer of sub-assemblies for Boeing, is on the north side of the street. One of the cars is on their property. There are at least two different car sizes.

Date: 06/18/11 20:11
Re: Rail cars for transporting aircraft sub-assemblies
Author: SantaFeRuss

What is the routing of these cars when they leave the LA area?

SantaFeRuss

Date: 06/18/11 20:24
Author: mojaveflyer

Similar cars run from Wichita, KS and Grand Prairie, TX to Everette/Boeing Field, WA via BNSF. It's not uncommon to see 737 fuselages on flat cars with idler flats headed that way as well. This was a train passing through Denver on 7/4/08.

Date: 06/18/11 20:32
Author: a737flyer

Actuall, 737s go to Renton where they are expanding the line even more. I think I read 42 a month is the latest goal.

Date: 06/18/11 20:34
Author: mojaveflyer

You're right... Couldn't think of the other production line. A 'Senior Moment' I guess. Thanks!

Date: 06/18/11 20:41

Here is a pic of one of the longer cars.

Date: 06/18/11 22:18
Author: wlj619

I think the Hawthorne plant used to make 747 stuff.

(Hawthorne, CA)

Walter Johnson

Date: 06/19/11 02:15
Author: bnsftrucker

It's Paine field in Everett, Boeing field in Seattle, and the Renton 737 assembly plant.
Boeing has an assembly plant in CA as well, I believe they build the C-17's down there.

Date: 06/19/11 02:16
Author: bnsftrucker

I ain't heard or seen the name Vought in a long time since the retirement of the Vought A-7 Corsairs, and the F-8 Crusaders.

Date: 06/19/11 11:21

The Hawthorne,Ca industry belongs to Triumph Aerostructures - Vought Aircraft Division.
I too was surprised to see the Vought name again. Remember Chance Vought?
I got my info from here:
http://www.triumphgroup.com/companies/triumph-aerostructures-vought-aircraft-division/about-us/history

C-17s are made at the old McDonnell-Douglas plant in Long Beach,Ca., now owned by Boeing. The plants life has recently been extended by a new C-17 order.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds