Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sacramento R Street Corridor

Date: 06/18/11 17:18
Sacramento R Street Corridor
Author: tj127

It looks like crews are busy tearing tearing up part of R Street where the old SP line to Folsom / Placerville used to run. There are still remnants of long unused street trackage there on the west side of the Safeway store on 19th Street. The first picture is the old line near 15th Street. The second is near 18th, and the third shows the results where the crew finished their work, but didn't pull up the rails. Instead, they pretty much buried them but left evidence of the railroad behind. Any idea what the construction is for, and why the tracks were spared?

Date: 06/19/11 12:16
Re: Sacramento R Street Corridor
Author: Inthehole

The new work is actually relaid rail. They took the ties out and put the rail in anew on tie clips in a cement bed. It's to keep the industrial/historical element.

Date: 06/19/11 13:59
Author: JLY

R St. branch never looked this good in my tenure.

Date: 06/19/11 15:32
Author: RollinB

No more worries about switching a strikebound Sacramento Bee with officer crews.

rdb

Date: 06/19/11 17:46
Author: Inthehole

Sac Bee is still served by rail off the WP. Been that way for more than 25 years now.

Date: 06/19/11 18:12
Author: RollinB

OOPS. Been 32 years since I was asst. supt. there.

rdb

Date: 06/19/11 19:34
Author: JLY

RollinB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OOPS. Been 32 years since I was asst. supt.
> there.
>
> rdb

Seems like 0nly yesterday or maybe the day before.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds