Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > RBBB trains and animals


Date: 07/11/11 22:45
RBBB trains and animals
Author: john1082

Stock facilities are gone now. A couple of questions on the RBBB trains:

1. How do they water the animals? Are there enough long / big hoses and enough hydrants to get the job done? Must water be trucked to track side?

2. How long can the stock be held in the car?

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA



Date: 07/11/11 23:02
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: PHall

john1082 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stock facilities are gone now. A couple of
> questions on the RBBB trains:
>
> 1. How do they water the animals? Are there
> enough long / big hoses and enough hydrants to get
> the job done? Must water be trucked to track
> side?
>
> 2. How long can the stock be held in the car?

You a PETA member?



Date: 07/11/11 23:02
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: dlocher

I can't say for sure, but I did notice as I was looking at some of the cars in Fresno, there were many water tanks on the cars.

David Locher
Fresno, CA
Many of my pictures



Date: 07/11/11 23:17
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: jst3751

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> john1082 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Stock facilities are gone now. A couple of
> > questions on the RBBB trains:
> >
> > 1. How do they water the animals? Are there
> > enough long / big hoses and enough hydrants to
> get
> > the job done? Must water be trucked to track
> > side?
> >
> > 2. How long can the stock be held in the car?
>
> You a PETA member?

I really doubt it, but why are you being cynical? Sounds like a perfectly curios question to me.



Date: 07/12/11 00:28
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: Out_Of_Service

they possibly could contract water trucks to water them down at certain locations



Date: 07/12/11 00:41
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: aronco

When railroads regularly transported livestock, the animals had to be unloaded for feed,water and rest every 28 hours, unless the shipper authorized 36 hours. UP used to feed and water the Farmer John hogs at Milford, Utah, in motion, while in the cars.
When I was station supervisor for Santa Fe at Winslow in 1968 thru 1971, we still had a trickle of livestock shipping.
I recall a particular incident when we had two 55 car trains of cattle in D&RGW cars to unload, feed, water and reload in Winslow. Being the junior supervisor on the division had some privileges, including spending most of the night chasing and avoiding crazed steers, dragging the dead ones aside, and watching where you walked. I am certain that those cattle had never seen a human being before they were loaded on the train.

Shipping livestock by rail was extremely expensive for the railroad, and the rates the rail lines charged were no where near enough to provide any profit. No wonder the rails ditched that business as soon as they could.

TIOGA PASS



Date: 07/12/11 07:31
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: stash

Check back for full details from Rhett, the circus train expert. I'm sure he'll reply to your question here.



Date: 07/12/11 07:38
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: Last_WP_Disp

UP moved the water/feeding of the hogs in Milford around 1975 to the siding at Dry Lake.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/11 07:41 by Last_WP_Disp.



Date: 07/12/11 09:07
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: PHall

jst3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PHall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > john1082 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Stock facilities are gone now. A couple of
> > > questions on the RBBB trains:
> > >
> > > 1. How do they water the animals? Are there
> > > enough long / big hoses and enough hydrants
> to
> > get
> > > the job done? Must water be trucked to track
> > > side?
> > >
> > > 2. How long can the stock be held in the
> car?
> >
> > You a PETA member?
>
> I really doubt it, but why are you being cynical?
> Sounds like a perfectly curios question to me.

Because I've seen more then one "innocent" question like this become a raging flame war when the asker revealed the true reason for asking the question.
To get evidence of animal abuse, especially to the elephants, by Ringling Brothers.



Date: 07/12/11 09:51
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: john1082

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> john1082 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Stock facilities are gone now. A couple of
> > questions on the RBBB trains:
> >
> > 1. How do they water the animals? Are there
> > enough long / big hoses and enough hydrants to
> get
> > the job done? Must water be trucked to track
> > side?
> >
> > 2. How long can the stock be held in the car?
>
> You a PETA member?


No, I'm not.

Are you a redneck?

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA



Date: 07/12/11 10:47
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: BNSF6400

Also it should be noted that the RBBB does not transport there big cats (lion, tigers, etc) via train. There is a seperate small convoy of road vehicles that transport them and also provide any "road assistance" that the train may need.



Date: 07/12/11 11:11
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: john1082

BNSF6400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also it should be noted that the RBBB does not
> transport there big cats (lion, tigers, etc) via
> train. There is a seperate small convoy of road
> vehicles that transport them and also provide any
> "road assistance" that the train may need.


Would certainly simplify logistics

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA



Date: 07/12/11 12:13
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: rbx551985

john1082 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stock facilities are gone now. A couple of
> questions on the RBBB trains:
>
> 1. How do they water the animals? Are there
> enough long / big hoses and enough hydrants to get
> the job done? Must water be trucked to track
> side?
>
> 2. How long can the stock be held in the car?

As "Stash" says (above), I'll help with some answers.... One or Two of the Animal Care personnel ride in an "apartment" with the animals up front (first 4 cars), feeding/watering and "mucking out" (I presume everyone knows what that means) the cars en route. On longer jumps, the train is stopped at a pre-arranged spot (usually a regular RR crewchange point), where pre-conracted feed and water awaits. On REALLY long jumps, a stop is made to off-load the animals for R&R, and they're feed and watered during that longer stay. Hoses are not normally used for this, except when pumper trucks are contrated in advance - which makes quite a site when, during the REALLY long jumps' Water Stop, the elephants get sprayed down: THEY LOVE THAT! They tend to gravitate toward the water source, and they're so gentle it's amazing - and great fun to watch. If you're an emplyee (this isn't particularly done much anymore except by Animal Crew personnel), you can "socialize" with the elephants and horses, touching them like one would a loved one - which the animals also like. (I know that for a fact: I've been there/done that.)

The show likes to keep the water tanks under the stock cars (and coaches, for that matter) filled every 24 hours. In towns, this is done 24/7 with local hydrant connections, and the tanks are topped off before every train-run.



Date: 07/12/11 13:50
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: bradleymckay

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> john1082 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Stock facilities are gone now. A couple of
> > questions on the RBBB trains:
> >
> > 1. How do they water the animals? Are there
> > enough long / big hoses and enough hydrants to
> get
> > the job done? Must water be trucked to track
> > side?
> >
> > 2. How long can the stock be held in the car?
>
> You a PETA member?


Let's get one thing clear about PETA. If there had not been animal abuse in the past (any animals) and/or if the meat industry had simply followed proper slaughter proceedures there would be no PETA. NOT pointing fingers at BB here, BTW. Unfortunately animal abuse, whether it be in the meat industry or elsewhere, happens. The world is full of sick people that abuse animals (AND children and women) and companies willing to cut corners to save a buck at the expense of livestock. Does PETA have a few "nut jobs" in their organization? Yup, a few, just like many animal and human rights organizations do. But they also serve a purpose. I've volunteered in the southern California animal shelter system for 5 years and belong to a domestic pet rabbit rescue group. I won't get into some of the neglect and abuse I've seen other that to say it can taint your view of us as humans. "OYW" can tell you about a couple of the domestic cats he has found out in the middle of Cajon Pass. They were no doubt dumped out there. I could go on but this is not the correct forum...


Allen



Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/11 13:59 by bradleymckay.



Date: 07/12/11 14:03
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: BNSF6400

bradleymckay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's get one thing clear about PETA. If there
> had not be animal abuse in the past (any animals)
> and/or if the meat industry had simply followed
> proper slaughter proceedures there would be no
> PETA.

This is so true. There are two "factions" within PETA these days. The first faction are the ones that started PETA all those years ago. They work hard to prevent animal cruelty and are the first to call out slaughterhouses, circuses or any other that mistreat animals. These people should be rewarded for there actions, hard work and dedication.

The second faction is, well to put it mildy, are a bunch of nut-jobs...they don't want any animal used for anything...they are truly "out there". I have even heard one PETA member called them them "wacko's among us". Some of these people are border line terrorists (attacking people in the streets wearing fur or burning down a car dealership because they sell cars with leather is terrorism to me). This faction is what gives PETA is bad name among the general public.



Date: 07/12/11 14:27
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: rbx551985

BNSF6400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bradleymckay Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Let's get one thing clear about PETA. If there
> > had not be animal abuse in the past (any
> animals)
> > and/or if the meat industry had simply followed
> > proper slaughter proceedures there would be no
> > PETA.
>
> This is so true. There are two "factions" within
> PETA these days. The first faction are the ones
> that started PETA all those years ago. They work
> hard to prevent animal cruelty and are the first
> to call out slaughterhouses, circuses or any other
> that mistreat animals. These people should be
> rewarded for there actions, hard work and
> dedication.
>
> The second faction is, well to put it mildy, are a
> bunch of nut-jobs...they don't want any animal
> used for anything...they are truly "out there". I
> have even heard one PETA member called them them
> "wacko's among us". Some of these people are
> border line terrorists (attacking people in the
> streets wearing fur or burning down a car
> dealership because they sell cars with leather is
> terrorism to me). This faction is what gives PETA
> is bad name among the general public.

THIS IS ALL TOO TRUE; RBBB knows this very well, and that's why they're so concientious about who's out and about around the show, particularly the animal "barn" areas. Also, note on their official website where they hold "ANIMAL OPEN HOUSE" to show the public what REALLY goes on "behind the scenes" - this takes place, in selected cities where there's room to do so, 90 minutes before a show and is open to all ticket holders for that show. And, CAMERAS ARE INVITED! Where else does a public show THIS large put their money where their mouth is? (No pun intended, referring to feeding our 4-legged cast members, LOL!)

BTW, also of note on the show's official website is the massive elephant farm in central Florida: a multi-MILLION DOLLAR facility maintained by Feld Entertainment, Inc. for the purpose of keeping the Asian elephant population, which is endangered, ALIVE AND WELL in the modern world (where their natural habitats are declining at an alarming rate). Yes, RBBB loves animals, and not for what some of those "more radical" PETA people often say. And I'm one to know: I was there!



Date: 07/20/11 13:09
Re: RBBB trains and animals
Author: SP3201

Back when I chased the train thru Tehachapi around 10 years or more ago (heck it could have been even 20!) the NB train made a stop at Caliente to water the annimals. Seems the water came from near the post office so the train was blocking all traffic (if there was any) (or maybe thats why the DS decided that was a good place to water the annimals).



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0921 seconds