Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fence at BN Xing, Kansas City

Date: 10/17/11 11:30
Fence at BN Xing, Kansas City
Author: schmo

My son and I photographed Sataurday afternoon at BN Xing, just east of Santa Fe Junction in Kansas City. As many of you may know, there's an overpass south of there over the Ft. Scott Sub that affords great views of not only the Ft. Scott main, but also the High Line and Santa Fe Flyover.

I noticed on the tops of the overpass' sides that threaded lugs have been inserted into the top of the concrete. From the size of the lugs, it appears the city (or someone else?) is preparing to install a fence to the sides of the overpass. I hope I'm wrong and that it'll only be a railing, but I have my doubts. Moreover, a fence will obliterate a good portion of the excellent views.

Q: Do you know which agency or entity plans to install this fence?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
--Steve Schmollinger

Date: 10/17/11 12:26
Re: Fence at BN Xing, Kansas City
Author: unclebob

I don't know who is responsible for this money wise, but newer bridges I have seen around KS over the UP have these "fences" on top of the bridge railing.

Mike

Date: 10/17/11 13:53
Author: UPTRAIN

If we're thinking of the same thing they've been there a while and once held up a railing.

And even if they do build a fence, there's a pair of wire cutters in my truck for that sort of thing.

Pump

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/11 14:01 by UPTRAIN.

Date: 10/17/11 14:23
Author: SVTS

Isn't this bridge unused? I've never been there, but if it is the one I am thinking of, I don't think it goes anywhere, so why invest other than than to ruin a great place to shoot trains.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 10/17/11 15:32
Author: Sneebly

The bridge is owned and maintained by the city of Kansas City Missouri. At the west end it changes to a private road. At that point there is a gate with a lock.

Sneebly

Date: 10/17/11 19:18
Author: wister6813

Maintained is used loosely. When I was there a few weeks to the aprons on either end are rough. They never were very good, but the street deadends at the west end of the overpass at a gate, so there isn't much traffic or need to fix the aprons.

The overpass did have an aluminum railing at one time. It disappeared little by little until only the lugs remain.

Bob

Date: 10/18/11 03:17
Author: QU25C

The hill is the city's , at one time it was open to the top. Talked to a rail cop about it and after the BNSF put the new high line in the hole hill went off limits.

Date: 10/18/11 07:16
Author: livesteamer

IIRC, wasn't there a restaurant on top of the hill at one time?

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 10/18/11 07:42
Author: Sneebly

I am unsure if that was the access road to Baby Does(Spelling?) which was a restaurant that looked like a old mining facility. I remember eating there once when I was like 15 in the mid 70's. It had a great overhead View of the Tower 3 area aka Santa FE Jct. It closed because it was determined that the hill it was placed on was too unstable.

Sneebly

Date: 10/18/11 12:52
Author: schmo

A cop told me old buildings are buried INSIDE the hill; thus the instability.

Date: 10/18/11 18:06
Author: wister6813

The hill was the location of a limestone mine (or cave in KC jargon). This may be why the hill is unstable. The portals were located south of the west end of the bridge. When the KCT overpass at Southwest Blvd was rebuilt, the concrete beams were buried in front of the openings.

I used to frequent with hillside in the early 90's. Great place to spent an afternoon. At that time the Dean Realty Co owned the hillside, and they still own the property according to the on-line parcel map. Deal Realty developed the business park on the hilltop as well.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0737 seconds