Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A busy three-day weekend

Date: 10/01/12 20:29
A busy three-day weekend
Author: oyw

This was my three-day weekend from work and even though I managed to get several projects finished around home, I also made it out on a few short trips for trains.

1) After a call from my good pal "RSD5" mid-day Saturday, I made a quick run up to Cajon for this new set of UP GE's. The KG1LB-26 with 7994 and 8003 heads south past the Keenbrook crossover on the former SP Palmdale cut off.

2) Another UP GE "head's up" Sunday morning found me waiting at the natural crossovers near Frost. Here are a few nondescript trains from various angles during the wait. BNSF 7435 was first up with eastbound JB Hunt stacks.

3) BNSF 7792 and 4591 were DPU's on the next eastbound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/12 20:33 by oyw.

Date: 10/01/12 20:30
Re: A busy three-day weekend

4) Westbound BNSF 7344 takes the "high line."

5) A wider angle view, this time of BNSF 7503 who was following close behind.

6) A few minutes later the train I was waiting for, UP 8023 on the KG3LB-27.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/12 20:41 by oyw.

Date: 10/01/12 20:30

7) It was an easy chase back to Cajon, many similar shots but I did like this 8023 roster shot taken near the Hesperia airport.

For those interested I also posted a shot of the same train at Canyon here on yesterdays Western Board. Now on to today.

8) I headed over to the Colton area and heard the 8023 again, this time on an eastbound so I waited down at Riverside on the BNSF.

9) Bring up the rear was another new GE, so I went up to the overlook at MP5 just south of Colton for another roster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/12 21:00 by oyw.

Date: 10/01/12 20:31

10) I finally got a Metrolink train with a solid set of all new painted equipment, albeit two cars. It was a PTC test train also at MP5.

11) Next I heard the "San Jac" local leaving San Bernardino with BNSF 127 following the test train. If the lead unit had been a red and silver with more cars I probably would have chased it, so I let it go.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/12 23:22 by oyw.

Date: 10/01/12 20:31

Let's wrap this thing up, shall we?

12) As if I didn't have enough shots of this unit, I decided to give chase out to San Timoteo Canyon. Here is the 8023 between Ordway and El Casco.

13) The chase was short-lived because CSXT 3001 passed me leading a westbound so I gave chase back west. After a lengthy delay at the Colton diamonds, I gave up and went home. But, after a call from another one of my close friends I made one more short trip down to Ontario for this grab shot. Thank you J.

I hope I didn't put any of you to sleep, I'm tired just telling these stories.

OYW

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/12 21:29 by oyw.

Date: 10/01/12 21:22
Author: oilcan

That first shot is money! I also like your angle of the 8023 at Riverside. Keep them coming, Bob. I never tire of your stuff.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/01/12 21:44
Author: EMDX90

Excellent shots. Sent you a PM.

Date: 10/02/12 01:55
Author: MrMRL

Great stuff Bob. Those UP GEVOS look unreal, not a speck of dirt on them, outstanding!

Mr. MRL

Date: 10/02/12 04:59
Author: Atsf814

Stunning work Bob! You need to get some of these to UP for the calendar. THanks for sharing!

Date: 10/02/12 05:48
Author: SP8595

Most Excellent Bob! Good catch on the CSXT but at what cost:}

Date: 10/02/12 10:35
Author: zuco74

Great shots.. !! Cant wait to get out to some of these areas as soon as I find the time. I am wondering though, is the CSX "box car" paint scheme painted on the first unit rare? I think I have only seen it one other time.

EDIT: Its painted on the nose too. I've never noticed that before.

Tony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/12 10:36 by zuco74.

Date: 10/02/12 10:47
Author: Fizzboy7

Awesome scenes! Why would we get tired of these? This is exactly what makes this site worth checking.
Agreed, the 8023 is clean even for "new delivery" standards. Usually the plow has some spots on it by the time it gets to the left coast. Sharp!

Date: 10/02/12 13:36
Author: ns1000

NIIIIICE set of pics!!!!!!

Date: 10/02/12 15:11
Author: DynamicBrake

Even though I favor EMD's, those new GEVO's do look pretty stellar. Great series Bob, but you keep trying to outdo yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 10/03/12 00:32
Author: cchan006

oyw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's wrap this thing up, shall we?
>
> 12) As if I didn't have enough shots of this unit,
> I decided to give chase out to San Timoteo Canyon.
> Here is the 8023 between Ordway and El Casco.
>
> 13) The chase was short-lived because CSXT 3001
> passed me leading a westbound so I gave chase back
> west. After a lengthy delay at the Colton
> diamonds, I gave up and went home. But, after a
> call from another one of my close friends I made
> one more short trip down to Ontario for this grab
> shot. Thank you J.
>
> I hope I didn't put any of you to sleep, I'm tired
> just telling these stories.
>
> OYW

Aborting a chase for another is par for the course for the busy Beaumont Hill. Nice catch on the CSXT leader. Great coverage and photo, especially the shot of the new GEVO's at Keenbrook!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds