Home Open Account Help 179 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > K&O player to be named later...


Date: 11/03/12 04:08
K&O player to be named later...
Author: santafe199

PRose & I did some snooping around on the Rock Island's former Golden State Route at McPherson, KS this past Tuesday. But we found this present-day UP
main quiet so we changed gears and went west, to explore Conway, KS on the former Santa Fe branch leading west out of McPherson. Conway "is home to a
large underground refined petroleum storage facility. The storage facility consists of large caverns carved into the underlying salt beds and is owned by the
National Cooperative Refinery Association (based?) in McPherson, KS. It has a holding capacity of over 4 million barrels used for gasoline, propane, and other
refined petroleum products. The Conway storage facility holds approximately 30% of the propane stored in the United States"
(paraphrased from Wikipedia).

We found an interesting scene about 1/2 a mile west of the site of the former Santa Fe depot. The K&O felt it was time for a new paint job for one of its ponies
and Bob & I caught this one in a partly-finished stage, alas with NO visible number markings what-so-ever. As we sometimes hear about in the baseball world,
this is evidently a player (engine) to be named (numbered) later...


1. K&O GP 39-2 being given a brand new uniform in Conway, KS.

2. & 3. Tools of the trade: Paint buckets, ladders & misc materials for the job.



Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/12 04:29 by santafe199.








Date: 11/03/12 04:09
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: santafe199

4. That dern Bob just seemed to get right in the ol' picture. (That's OK, he's dunnit a few dozen times before, over the years... ;^)
all photos taken in Conway, KS on October 30, 2012

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199




Date: 11/03/12 06:00
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: Evan_Werkema

The pattern of details makes it look like one of Watco's many ex-BN GP39V, E, or M's that started life as a GP35 on somebody else's railroad. Was the frame number under too many coats of old paint/Scotchlite to make out?



Date: 11/03/12 06:14
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: santafe199

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The pattern of details makes it look like one of
> Watco's many ex-BN GP39V, E, or M's that started
> life as a GP35 on somebody else's railroad. Was
> the frame number under too many coats of old
> paint/Scotchlite to make out?

We looked ALL over the frame & cab on both sides & ends. It was completely devoid of any previous paint ridges and the builder's plate was absent.
Presumably one of us will sneak back down there and shoot the finished product...

Lance



Date: 11/03/12 06:23
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: Evan_Werkema

santafe199 Wrote:

> We looked ALL over the frame & cab on both sides &
> ends. It was completely devoid of any previous
> paint ridges and the builder's plate was absent.

It's also disgustingly devoid of scars and other distinguishing blemishes. There weren't too many that got that modern corrugated air intake screen, though, so that narrows the field a bit, and we can rule out units already in yellow and black. WAMX 3905 (ex-BNSF 2974) looks like a strong contender.



Date: 11/03/12 06:42
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: kcjonz

Why are they painting it there ? Thought they had a new shop building in Cherryvale .



Date: 11/03/12 07:21
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: trainupaboy

Lance that looks like an HO Atlas gp! Nice shot.-Justin

Posted from Android



Date: 11/03/12 08:30
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: TTownTrains

kcjonz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why are they painting it there ? Thought they had
> a new shop building in Cherryvale .

I think the Cherryvale building is just for routine maintenance. Most of the painting usually happens in Wichita or Coffeyville.

Bill G.
Tulsa, OK



Date: 11/03/12 12:14
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: up833

If you had a designated paint shop it would have to meet all kinds of regulations and local permits. If you do it outside in the wide open spaces...nothing.
Roger Beckett



Date: 11/03/12 13:24
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: PHall

up833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you had a designated paint shop it would have
> to meet all kinds of regulations and local
> permits. If you do it outside in the wide open
> spaces...nothing.
> Roger Beckett

Until you get caught. Just because you're not inside a paint shop doesn't means the rules don't apply.

I'm sure the US EPA or the Kansas version of the EPA would not be happy if they found out about this.

Not happy as in big freakin' fine!



Date: 11/03/12 15:47
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Have to find all those paint fumes and such to prove anything. Rake the ballast to cover up anything on the ground - Wallah ! No problem



Date: 11/03/12 19:14
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: SD45X

Check your local regulations. We used to paint cars outside, account our county had all the rules for painting inside, but none for painting outside. Gets tricky if you live on a gravel road.



Date: 11/03/12 19:15
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: wag216

PRose is just standing there, watching to see the red stipes appear and he will name it PRose Jr. wag216



Date: 11/03/12 19:54
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: burlingtonjohn

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4. That dern Bob just seemed to get right in the
> ol' picture. (That's OK, he's dunnit a few dozen
> times before, over the years... ;^)


You didn't yell at him for breaking the integrity of the photo line?

;-)

Regards,
Burlington John



Date: 11/03/12 21:04
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: bnsfsd70

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Until you get caught. Just because you're not
> inside a paint shop doesn't means the rules don't
> apply.
>
> I'm sure the US EPA or the Kansas version of the
> EPA would not be happy if they found out about
> this.

Regulations? EPA??? Not with Brownback. We're back to the Wild West! Do what you want!

- Jeff Carlson



Date: 11/03/12 23:54
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: PHall

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PHall Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Until you get caught. Just because you're not
> > inside a paint shop doesn't means the rules
> don't
> > apply.
> >
> > I'm sure the US EPA or the Kansas version of
> the
> > EPA would not be happy if they found out about
> > this.
>
> Regulations? EPA??? Not with Brownback. We're
> back to the Wild West! Do what you want!
>
> - Jeff Carlson

Brownback has no control over the EPA. They're Federal.
And since there's no love lost between the current administration and Governor Brownback, it's not like he can call in a political favor.



Date: 11/07/12 15:13
Re: K&O player to be named later...
Author: upkpfan

For the answer to this, see my post on Nostalgia & History forum for today, Wed. I posted by mistake on the wrong site. upkpfan



[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1148 seconds