Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Inactivity/activity on BNSF at La Cygne, Kansas

Date: 11/03/12 16:28
Inactivity/activity on BNSF at La Cygne, Kansas
Author: JoCoLB

Driving into La Cygne, KS, late Friday afternoon, Nov. 2, 2012, I quickly noticed a fleet of tie-laying equipment parked in a siding on the BNSF Railway's Fort Scott Subdivision. No workers were around.

I was on relatively short time with my travels so didn't stick around to see if I could observe any train activity.

While in the community, I did hear a southbound train whistle through town.

After being in La Cygne about an hour, it worked out that I could return to trackside to try my luck with some picture-taking before the setting sun dropped compleely below the horizon.

Within a very short time, a southbound loaded coal train pulled into town slowly. Pictures Two and Three show two views of the lead units on this unit coal train...

Date: 11/03/12 16:32
Re: Inactivity/activity on BNSF at La Cygne, Kansas

Three more pictures of the south-bounder...

Date: 11/03/12 16:37

These are the last three pictures of the loaded coal train, showing the rear three locomotives...

Date: 11/03/12 16:42

Within about 10 minutes after the south-bounder left town, a north-bound BNSF empty coal train came into view. These pictures were snapped as the train pulled past.

Date: 11/03/12 16:48

With sunlight fading fast, I managed to grab these two photos of the rear-end power on the north-bound coal empty.

Hopefully, someone will fill in the "blanks" when it comes to where these two BNSF trains originated and where they were destined.

Also, does anyone know the full scope of the current tie-replacemet work on the Fort Scott Sub?

Date: 11/03/12 19:42
Author: upkpfan

Larry,
That RWSX coal train comes out of the PRB and goes down to Alabama. UP used to haul this coal. upkpfan

Date: 11/03/12 20:17
Author: Rathole

Close. They actually go to a power plant in Georgia.

upkpfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Larry,
> That RWSX coal train comes out of the PRB and goes
> down to Alabama. UP used to haul this coal.
> upkpfan

Date: 11/04/12 01:03
Author: SD70M

Correct. They are going to/from Plant Scherer, near Atlanta GA, not to be confused with the trains to AL which use JHMX reporting marks

Date: 11/04/12 14:28
Author: papio

Saw that gang at work from a Hwy 69 overpass near Pleasanton last Tuesday while driving back to Nebraska.

Date: 11/04/12 18:39
Author: upkpfan

Oops,
Well I at least got you in the area. I couldn't remember the name Plant Scherar and just exactly where it went.It's been awhile since I'ce seen these cars as they used to run thru Marysville, KS all the time and I would see them there. When BNSF took it over I kind of lost interest in it. Sorry about the miss info. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds