Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SouthCentral Wisconsin Outing on 11-9-12

Date: 11/09/12 13:01
SouthCentral Wisconsin Outing on 11-9-12
Author: bxa1

No rail action found this morning, just some interesting findings :)

Photo-01
Former GTW Caboose on the property of the former OLD SCHOOLHOUSE RESTAURANT near Merrimac Wisconsin

Photo-02
Front truck of the caboose at the former OLD SCHOOLHOUSE RESTAURANT near Merrimac Wisconsin with GTW RR stamp

Photo-03
Air reservoir tank on the caboose at the former OLD SCHOOLHOUSE RESTAURANT near Merrimac Wisconsin

Date: 11/09/12 13:11
Re: SouthCentral Wisconsin Outing on 11-9-12
Author: bxa1

Photo-04
Illinois Central BrushCutter lays over at the former CNW yards in Baraboo Wisconsin (now WSOR and UP)

Photo-05
Swift Refrigerator Line car (located behind the St Vincent De Paul Thrift Store in Baraboo Wisconsin). The car is amongst a "graveyard" of old railcars, etc. This is property of the Circus World Museum. The CNW Refrigeration Co. used to be housed in this area. The GREAT CIRCUS TRAIN flatcars are stored in this area as well.

Photo-06
Existing Wig-Wag signals are still used at the intersection of Lynn and Vine Sts. in Baraboo Wisconsin (former CNW, now UP, and leased by the WSOR)

Date: 11/10/12 12:09
Re: SouthCentral Wisconsin Outing on 11-9-12
Author: skstone

Thanks for the great photos!!! My grandfather used to work at the car shops in Baraboo. The Museum building (behind the maintenance equip.) was the old Effinger brewery headquarters, and before that my other grandparents house stood on that property.

The wig-wag photo shows where the old 'high bridge' was across the Baraboo river. My grandfather and other family members used to talk about walking across the upper beams on a dare. They had to have been nuts!

My grandmother taught at the Merrimack schoolhouse where the caboose is.

Lots of interesting stories!

Again, thanks!

Scott Stone
Jackson, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds