Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fall on Curtis Hill

Date: 11/10/12 16:04
Fall on Curtis Hill
Author: ATSF5669

Curtis Hill is always an enjoyable place to watch the BNSF's Transcon Show roll on. A few of us gathered last week to enjoy the performance and to take advantage of the fall light. I've been there many times in the summer, but this experience convinced me Curtis is a MUCH more enjoyable place in early November than it is in July! The light swings way to the south and makes every area shootable throughout the day. Then there's the temperature to consider. In July it's 100-110, and In November it's 60-70...let's see, which do I like better...

1. BNSF 7537 blows west through W. Belva with an oddly configured stack train.

2. Double crossover signals at Curtis. Shot with a Canon 500mm f32 @ 2.5 seconds.

3. The show at E. Woodward. The DS very briefly stabbed two e/b Z's to allow the feed train to clear, then crossed both over for the trip to Waynoka. It's really cool to watch the dispatcher's handle the volume of trains with widely varying speeds and hp/ton ratios.

Date: 11/10/12 16:11
Re: Fall on Curtis Hill

4. The first of the e/b Z trains roars through the crossover at E. Woodward.

5. My favorite Wellington-based engineer is giving us a big BNSF howdy as he rolls under the bridge at Quinlan.

6. We couldn't hear the 7536 west coming until my favorite engineer and this hogger exchanged horn greetings just before he rolled around the curve and into view.

Date: 11/10/12 16:16

7. We're at Quinlan, and pulling across the tracks make the same intellectual observation "Hey! There's TWO headlights down thar!" About this time my prayer life gets put back in good standing as I pray for the right hand train on #2 main to take the lead.

8. The dispatching god's have must have been pleased, because this is what unfolds in front of our lengthy lenses!

9. Late afternoon light at Woodward.

Date: 11/10/12 16:24

10. Some of our group had gone into town but Mr B and I stayed trackside hoping for a break in the clouds. The sun began appearing under the overcast just as this empty grain train came through the crossovers at E Woodward.

11. This is the kind of light I dream of. It was really cool watching the light play off the side of these hoppers at the train rolled east.

12. So is this "slow...children playing", or "slow children...playing". Next time we gather I'll have an insert prepared to cover the word "children" with the word "railfan".

Date: 11/10/12 16:31

13. Just a few miles west of Woodward is this ancient bridge and a cool shot looking west.

14. Blowing and going east through my favorite crossovers at Woodward.

15. On the way back to Tulsa I snagged my last shot of this eastbound H-train at Quinlan. This is a great spot to spend the night.

Date: 11/10/12 16:33
Author: mojaveflyer

Great series of shots! In the case of #12, I'm thinking choice #2 works. Please give him my regards!

Date: 11/10/12 17:14
Author: ns1000

GREAT set of pics!!!!!

Date: 11/10/12 17:21
Author: SeaboardMan

Thanks for posting these. Love shot #10. Especially when I scrolled it up to block out the top of the photo (just high enough to hide the auto headlights in the upper right). Makes for a pano shot and the curving rails with that great light just rock. Love it.
John

Date: 11/10/12 17:23
Author: kcjonz

I'd say fall is the best time on Curtis Hill !! Great pics !

Date: 11/10/12 19:05
Author: santafe199

Absolute 1st Class series! I visited this fantastic area a year ago for the "Curtis Hill Weekend" get together and will definitely be back.

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds