Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Duarte, CA former ATSF track removal update...

Date: 11/11/12 20:07
Duarte, CA former ATSF track removal update...
Author: PasadenaSub

Upon visiting the rails in Duarte yesterday, a lot has changed since my last visit 2 weeks ago:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2904589

1-2) As DNRY122 mentioned in a recent thread, the Gold Line construction has been using a Pettibone to pick up flatcars of concrete ties and rail left by the BNSF local just east of the bridge over the San Gabriel River (near Miller Brewing) and bring them to Highland for unloading. I found it tied down just east of Highland Ave, with empty flatcars in the distance in the second pic. I also saw two new bulkhead flats loaded with concrete ties at Miller, waiting to be picked up this coming week.

3) Some of the debris around the Highland grade crossing, with a trench dug on the east side of the street.

Date: 11/11/12 20:11
Re: Duarte, CA former ATSF track removal update...

4) Looking west from the other side of the Highland crossing, with all rail and ties now removed west to Buena Vista Avenue. So now the only intact Santa Fe rail in the 4-mile stretch between Arcadia and Highland Avenue is about a 1/2 mile from Buena Vista to Mountain, which will likely be disappearing soon.

5) Looking back at the Highland crossing.

6) Moving west a bit, across from City of Hope hospital - where the BNSF Christmas train used to stop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 20:51 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 11/11/12 20:15

7) Dumpster and rail in the long view near the hospital.

8) A date of 1953 on one of the rail segments in the prior photo.

9) Another piece of equipment and stack of ties just beyond the dumpster.

Date: 11/11/12 20:19

10) Hiking along the right-of-way, I reached the island of intact track just east of Buena Vista Ave.

11) A date nail in one of the ties from 1947. I also saw quite a few from 1949, and wish I'd brought my hammer with me - as they refused to budge with a tug from my fingers.

12) Another look at track at Buena Vista and beyond.

Thanks for the views,

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 20:24 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 11/11/12 20:32
Author: coach

Amazing how good that stick rail still looks--you could expect a Super Chief to coming roaring by at any time, flying along on that rail...

Date: 11/11/12 21:04
Author: DNRY122

I think the Santa Fe did a major upgrade in the early to mid 1950's; among other things, they could remove the crossing diamonds at the PE crossings in Lamanda Park (Sierra Madre Line) and Arcadia (Monrovia-Glendora Line), since the bustitution of the PE Northern District was completed in 1951. With most of the freight traffic and some of the passenger trains running via Fullerton, and steam locomotives rarely used on the 2nd District after the new rail was installed, it didn't get that much hard use. I have no official word on the subject, but I noticed that when the track was dismantled, many of the rails were cut on either side of the joint bars, and they have been stacked at a number of locations along the line, leading me to think that there may be plans to weld the sections together, possibly for use in the new yard at the Monrovia maintenance facility.

Date: 11/11/12 22:41
Author: 3rdswitch

Brings back memories of 55 mph on stick rail on the 198 and other trains. The price of progress I guess.
JB

Date: 11/11/12 23:51
Author: ats90mph

This was once 100 MPH track (on the same rail); later downgraded to 90 MPH for passenger comfort. Then an LA County Ordnance downgraded it further to 65 MPH...

Guess who is tearing it out, LA County (LACMTA) :-)

But it will carry more people in the first five years than all the Super Chiefs combined, I guess thats progress...

Date: 11/12/12 07:48
Author: Des-Lab

Excellent pics Rich. See. Aren't you glad we talked you into keeping them? Like I told you in another update, one day you'll be glad you did this even if it's saddening for the time being.

Glad to see some progress being made that just a few years ago, looked doubtful that it would ever happen. Besides, let's face it. This stretch of track has been effectively dead for along time now anyway. Might as well put it to some good use.

Thanks again. Keep them coming.

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1381 seconds