Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Norman, OK

Date: 11/12/12 19:57
Norman, OK
Author: cricketer8for9

I'm a long way from home staying at a Conference/Training centre in Norman OK. I have heard a couple of trains sounding their horns for crossings. Is someone able to say which line it is? I'm rather stuck here, and even with a car have to be indoors most of the daylight hours.

All the best.

Date: 11/12/12 20:02
Re: Norman, OK
Author: PHall

BNSF former Santa Fe line.

Date: 11/12/12 20:05
Author: CSabresXr1

If you have a Windows PC I recommend downloading ATCSMon and getting the track guide for the BNSF Red Rock Sub. If you want to catch some trains thats the best way to do it. Also, right downtown is the Santa Fe Norman Depot, also used as the current Amtrak stop in Norman.

Date: 11/12/12 22:47
Author: billywa

Figure 25-30 trains a day. Amtrak Heartland Flyer goes through southbound in the mornings and back northbound in the evenings. 160.560 if you have a radio on hand.

billywa

Date: 11/13/12 00:06
Author: ats90mph

BNSF Main from Newton, KS to Houston and Galveston, TX...

Date: 11/13/12 05:28

Thanks to all. Regratably I'm stuck in a conference center about 5 miles from Downtown Norman, and not able to get out. No scanner either. Home is in the UK.

Date: 11/13/12 09:19
Author: Western_Star

Got ya self a bloody prēdicament eh màte

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/12 13:33 by Western_Star.

Date: 11/13/12 11:53

Sure have, though may be able to escape tomorrow morning. Norman depot worth going to?

Date: 11/13/12 15:04
Author: plowboy

Welcome to the home of THE university, the University of Oklahoma!! Hope you enjoy your stay in Norman. Too bad you are stuck at the center. Norman is a nice city. Hope you enjoy your stay in Oklahoma!!
Plowboy

Date: 11/13/12 16:00
Author: gman1

It is a small brick depot as was Santa Fe practice for a depot in a county seat, was nicely restored about 20 years ago. There is a restaurant called Vista on the top floor of about the tallest building in town, mostly a sports bar but it grants a nice view of the Red Rock sub through town. Also check out the Firehouse Cultural Art Center, was originally an Interurban depot. A few years back it was a restaurant called the Interurban, decorated inside with photos of the depot during the war years. Anyway, I found that building to be more architecturally interesting than the Santa Fe depot. I had the pleasure of living there for four years while stationed at Tinker Air Force Base, A time that I remember fondly.

Date: 11/13/12 20:06

Ended up getting taken out into central Norman (Buenavista's Italian Restaurant). About 50yds from the line, and we were at one point almost drowned out by the horn of the Northbound Amtrak train which went through about 9pm - not sure if this is on time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds