Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Good Morning from Henrietta, MO!

Date: 11/15/12 07:06
Good Morning from Henrietta, MO!
Author: santafe199

I left Manhattan (KS) at the wee hour of 0400 and took one short pit stop for coffee & a couple of diet (as if... ;^) donuts. By 0730 I was deep into Ray County
Missouri on my way to Columbia. In the past year I've been over these back roads a number of times shooting Amtrak #4, other BNSF trains & and just learning the territory.
As I approached this now familiar crossing east of Henrietta I was struck by the spectacle of the sun greeting the day, trying to break through a heavy cloud bank.
My headlights reflecting off of the crossing apparatus helped to complete the spell. I went to work with my tripod, getting a number of different focal lengths, angles & exposures.
And a train.

As I set up for my 1st round of bracket shooting I could hear an EB train approaching just out of Henrietta. I went to a 30" exposure and hit the shutter release
for the obligatory motion-blur shot and immediately realized I didn't change the aperture accordingly. As my soon-to-be-washed-out shot was in progress I watched a
Union Pacific consist rush by with an EB hotshot. It was an omen... After chasing the Columbia Star Dinner Train on Sunday, and a 3-day sortie into the Land of
Lincoln I was able to spend Thursday afternoon scouting & shooting the BNSF between Baring & Carrollton on the way back home. I would unexpectedly see UP power on
3 more trains, nearly matching the number of trains the BNSF would show me during the day. Enough for another thread later on...

1. Early sunrise at E 84th St on the BNSF east of Henrietta, MO.

2. A Union Pacific consist is hustling east with an intermodal hotshot as I stand there, regretting not stopping the camera down about 3 stops. Good thing for Photoshop...

3. Close-up of the crossbuck & gate. Look real close and you'll see a non-mechanical crossbuck peeking over the BNSF, protecting the NS mainline.
(all photos taken November 4, 2012)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/12 07:12 by santafe199.

Date: 11/15/12 08:05
Re: Good Morning from Henrietta, MO!
Author: richmp412

Great pictures Lance right in my front yard almost.
Richard

Date: 11/15/12 08:35

richmp412 Wrote:

> ...right in my front yard almost.

Well my friend, next time I buzz through you'll just have to leave the light on for me.
(I'll try not to confuse it with Motel 6.... ;^)

Lance

Date: 11/15/12 08:49
Author: nwkrailfan

Wow! Still trying to find my lower jaw...awesome photos!

Date: 11/15/12 10:07
Author: a737flyer

Beautiful!

Date: 11/15/12 21:46
Author: jerryheng

Great shots, Lance, especially #1 and #3. Any idea what the structure in #2 is? Almost looks like an abandoned tower in the middle of nowhere. TIA. - Jerry

Date: 11/15/12 21:54

jerryheng Wrote:

> .......................................... Any
> idea what the structure in #2 is? Almost looks
> like an abandoned tower in the middle of nowhere.

It's just one of those generic aluminum housings for the electronics that control the crossing signals...

Date: 11/15/12 23:21
Author: jerryheng

I see that now after your reply. Oh, well! -Jerry

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jerryheng Wrote:
>
> It's just one of those generic aluminum housings
> for the electronics that control the crossing
> signals...

Date: 11/18/12 16:05
Author: DublinDistrict

Man, you do good work. That first shot is special.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0574 seconds