Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > End of the line at Lairport, BNSF Harbor Sub

Date: 11/18/12 06:48
End of the line at Lairport, BNSF Harbor Sub
Author: CimaScrambler

As has been discussed here previously, the center section of the BNSF Harbor Sub between about MP 8 (Hyde Park) and MP 13 (Lairport) are now abandoned. I stopped at Lairport yesterday and recorded what things look like there: two paired rails pulled from each track, with ties serving as bumpers on either side of the gap. The south side of the gap on the main also has wheel stops. It has been over ten years since this line saw any through trains, and a year or two since the railroad stopped storing empty well cars this far east. We'll see what Metro does here in the coming years.

1) Looking railroad east or compass north toward the Century Freeway and LAX.
2) Looking railroad west or compass south toward El Segundo.
3) They didn't just pull rails from the main, the siding got the treatment too.

- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 11/18/12 07:17
Re: End of the line at Lairport, BNSF Harbor Sub
Author: MrMRL

Thanks for the views Kit. I can see my Dad's plant in the back of shot 2 (Northrop-Grumman). Only once (back in 2007) was I part of a BNSF switch crew that made the long shove from Watson to Lairport late at night with a bunch of empty wells for short term storage. I'm glad I got to ride this far out along the old Harbor Sub at least once.

Mr. MRL

Date: 11/18/12 12:54
Author: 3rdswitch

That was a long shove. Once Marv and I vanned to LA (Commerce) to get eight units and pick up a baretable at Hobart to take to Lairport. I suggested to Marv that we put a unit on the rear at Hobart (boxcar style, not DP, which of course was not in the rulebook) pull past West Thenard then shove with a comfort cab, A/C, bell whistle, toilet and radio and that is what we did. While pulling out of LA Hobart the yard called to stop us as they though we were dragging a unit with us but it was all part of the plan. We shoved to El Segundo, set the unit out on the wye then continued shoving the short distance to Imperial Hwy. Aww the memories of working out of Watson and the things we got away with.
JB

Date: 11/18/12 15:14
Author: CimaScrambler

Joe

Here's your "DPU shoving platform". You gave me a call that day and said you were heading out with something unusual. If I am not mistaken, this was also my first look at a "Powerbar" paint scheme.

The second image shows the image on the wye at El Segundo.

- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/12 15:17 by CimaScrambler.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds